Saturday, April 10, 2010

Where to from now?

Over the past 24 hours I have focused my attention on gathering information and data on my post graduate thesis. For anyone reading this, a Thesis is by no means an easy task. As a complete beginner to the world of post graduate study, I am new to the concept of Thesis writing and more importantly the procedure involved in preparing for such a task and the amount of work that is needed to go into it. I have met already with my academic supervisor and now starting to provide dedication and commitment to the task that lay ahead. As my thesis topic is on Asperger Syndrome, I need to read widely to ensure that all the necessary information is gathered and hopefully with the might of God and if I can do things right, more awareness will hopefully occur for adults more so than children with AS. As I haven't studied in a long time I know I have to try and adapt to the modern way of learning. As a student in the 90's, doesn't that seem a long time ago now? The work and study I needed to perform was done with books and journals. The Internet was in its infancy and email was revolutionary as you could send an email to someone and they could obtain it instantly. I enjoy the challenge ahead in being able to get my gray matter working again and I only hope that I am making progress as we speak. I am not one for procrastination but more so one that needs to be patient and take time for information to slow accrue and eventually merge together to obtain the a final result. I am currently 3/4 through "Presidential Courage -Brave Leaders And How They Changed America 1789-1989 by Michael Beschloss". This book is an interesting read and it gives an account of all the Presidents of the USA and how they differed from each other. I particularly like the fact that Reagan kept a diary as his closest friend and how Franklin Roosevelt conducted the presidency during World War 2. I only have to find another book to read like this one which was given to me by a close friend for my 36th Birthday. I didn't know that President Harry Truman vacated the White House for construction, and that the White House was first referred to the White House and no longer the Executive Mansion. Furthermore I did not know that President Kennedy was expected to give a speech at Midnight in the Civil Rights Movement at the 100 Anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Also that Texas Governor John Connolly said to JFK as a joke that the people of Dallas would murder him which of course Kennedy was killed in Dallas on 22nd November 1963. Kennedy needed to get the Texas Block and have Johnson as a running mate to secure the presidency. Kennedy's visit to Dallas was supposed to be a means of securing the votes to win a second term. As Kennedy was slain in Dallas apparently the Civil Rights Bill was being presented in Congress. As time rolls on and every second is lost and cannot be regained, I like to take on any challenge expected of me. I have been in touch with some Aspies from around the globe via Skype, and this morning I was talking to one who lives in Ireland. All the adults with AS I speak to encounter the same issues in that we are socially isolated or have our own unique wiring but seem to be on the outer with other people. I guess that's the way it is meant to be. I hope over time and in my life time that adults with Asperger Syndrome will start to get more attention than just children for society needs to understand that children don't just grow out of AS. They become adults with it and where next? Well it's back to some more reading now and hopefully some more progress with duties expected of me. George Bernard Shaw was quoted to have said “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” Can we as people make our own contribution to the world no matter how hard the obstacles can be. I just thought I would use the quote of George Bernard Shaw as just a quote in itself.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Shaw quote but moreso the facts and information you presented on the presidents...I did not know any of the ones you stated so I feel enlightened..Thanks
    Good Luck with your thesis..I have no doubt you will do very well,Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy for your comments, I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete