Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sometimes I really wonder if it is worth living in Australia

What I find really annoying about living in Australia and I am entitled to a gripe is the lack of opportunity and incentive based on merit.  Furthermore the constant wearing out process if you try and improve on your own knowledge base.  The other thing that really is annoying is when others who do very little seem to get into places of influence and decision making. 


I know that I may not be everyone's cup of tea and in all honesty frankly I do not care!  However what I find frustrating in Australia is that it is just about impossible to get ahead.  If you try to focus on making things better you are either worn down or you confront the tall poppy syndrome where you are cut down.  Is it any wonder that people may give up or just decide to leave.  If it were possible, I wish that I could have the opportunity to better my skills and knowledge base and go somewhere else, using the grass is greener process and be involved somewhere where I could be appreciated for who I am.  I am not interested in sucking up to  people not beating my fists against my chest to get my own way but more so just wanting people to allow me and others I know a possibility of having a go. 


I work tirelessly and industriously on my Autism Advocacy work here and despite the challenges that lay ahead and some of the lack of awareness that I receive, I try my best to make things better.  I try to stand up for rights and fairness but at times it can just be about impossible. 


I watch the news which I find depressing and a lot of the spin and negativity which you watch just is so toxic that it makes you feel worse than it does better. Sadly it doesn't even provide you with an accurate scenario of what is actually happening.  I have thought about many times of whether it is  possible to just leave Australia and move to New Zealand or somewhere where incentive and merit are important. Perhaps even Germany is a place to go.  However living in Australia despite the so called 'lucky country' stigma is not really the honest truth.  If you try and do the right thing in any walk of life you are just put down or worn down.  You see so called celebrities who have got to where they are by operating wrongly and when you try and do the right thing yourself you are just on the outer. 


I know of many younger people who just want to leave Australia as they feel there is no longer and opportunity here.  Despite having the necessary qualifications and enthusiasm they just want out.  There are also some who may want to better themselves but just find the whole process flawed.  People who provide poor quality service or just couldn't be bothered to put themselves out.   We also have a political system which I think stinks. I think preferential voting needs to go and politicians made accountable. I find the major political parties don't really give a stuff about disability as they live in Canberra and screw the rest of the country with their perks and lifestyles.  It is about time that an Autism Adult movement starts to happen to allow our people real chance in employment. What people don't realise is that Aspies have potential and I know of many adults whom I support in my advocacy work.  We just need to be given a chance and listened too!


I am disillusioned a lot with Australia and I really believe attitudes need to change here.  I also feel more inclined to spend my tourist dollar in another country even New Zealand where customer service and delivery seem so much better. You just don't have to put up with crap and bad service and be expected to think that it's the only standard of service available. 


I really wonder if Australia is going to change or whether it is worthwhile going overseas more to say Germany which although not perfect focuses more on an industrious model of initiative and incentive!  Or even South America where there are more flamboyant women!


You may want to read this article about Australian Tourism


Rock Wallaby
Does Australia live up to its reputation as a land of the fair go?

1 comment:

  1. Gary, We have talked about the need for help of finding employment.

    Have you checked on this resource? http://www.auties.org?

    I would love to hear back from you in private. Maybe another skype conversation.

    ReplyDelete