Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Progress in small and large steps

Yesterday I had the opportunity of meeting another adult Ben Wilshire who is on the Autism Spectrum.  Ben is taking a break from both advocacy work and trying to find a job.  He boarded a ship with his family bound for Cairns and had a brief stop in Brisbane.  Although it seemed difficult to meet up with Ben, I thought I would try my best, so I boarded the City Cat and met with him firstly at South Brisbane. I have been in touch with Ben via Skype for the past 6 months and meeting him in person was really no different.  It was just that both he and I could meet personally.  Ben also informed me that he now has a job in a retail outlet on a part time basis.  This is great news even those it is temporary which I hope will become more permanent.

Good to catch up with Ben Wilshire in Brisbane 
I am pleased to also announce that the Asperger Adult Group is still growing strong and we have some more assistance from others to help us out.  What I hope for is for liaison between adults on the Autism Spectrum and those who are not to work and understand each other better and more importantly to break down stigmas and labels.  For our upcoming Australia Day BBQ, the group besides having participation with food and beverage, may also host some interactive games.  These will include board games such as monopoly or even a game of social cricket.  Of course the setting is laid back and fosters personal growth as well as participation in a non threatening environment.

I have also advised through my 24/7 work via Facebook, LinkedIn and Skype assistance to persons wanting to find out more about services and other necessary information.  Recently I was contacted by a lady who is wanting to get assistance for her partner who is facing some challenges being on the Autism Spectrum. I hope to meet with them at our next meeting.  I have also tried my best to contact necessary organisations and link them to existing services which currently are limited.

I have also been in touch with Damian Santomauro who has experience in understanding Autism and undertaking necessary research.  For anyone who is an adolescent and wanting more assistance, Damian is running a workshop.  He is working with Dr Tony Attwood and Michelle Garnett.  For more information I would encourage you to visit the following link 

Please stay tuned for more updates and remember you can like my Facebook Page and contact me via my website www.garryburge.com

Kind and warmest regards

Garry Burge

No comments:

Post a Comment