It concerns me what commitment the Abbott Government will provide or give to the NDIS or the Federal Opposition should they win government also, but in any case I thought I would provide my own opinions concerning the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme/Disability Care).
One of the things that needs in my opinion to provide adequate support and assistance for anyone with a disability is first of all a "Means Test" and secondly a "Case Worker". Although not the total solution, both these persons could provide the following. I will provide you with an example of where support should occur and how assistance can be provided.
Let us imagine that Joe is 19 and he has just finished school. His parents are very concerned about his future. Joe doesn't have many friends and spends a lot of time in front of the computer as he has no job. Joe also has social isolation and left untreated there is a strong possibility that he may development mental health issues leading to depression and possibly worse.
What therefore can the NDIS or Disability Care provide for Joe? I will provide a possible example.
As Joe has left school, Joe's parents have heard that in his area that access to services are possible. First of all Joe's parents access the Department of Disability Support and they are assigned to a Case Manager. This Case Manager sets up an appointment with Joe's parents and Joe to sit down and access the services which Joe needs and a "Means Assessment" of how Joe can be assisted. Joe is also assigned a Case Worker who works with Joe and his parents to find out what Joe requires. After sitting down with both Joe and his parents. The first thing of importance is accommodation. Joe's parents realise that Joe needs to look after himself but they know that Joe is unable to afford to live in the rental market as it is too expensive and Joe will need some help with day to day tasks. Joe's parents are informed that with any disability that the needs of adults vary from one to another. For instance the level of support for one young adult may be different to another and with this in mind a "Means Test" can determine exactly what level of support in Joe's case is required. Joe would like to live on his own but he feels that he may need some assistance with cooking and connecting to the community. The good thing is that the Department of Disability Support knows of an Adult Social Group for Adults on the Autism Spectrum. This Adult Group has adults from across the Autism Spectrum and they meet regularly as well as have persons not on the Autism Spectrum to assist them. Joe feels relieved that he can now connect with others and live independently. His Case Manager is working with Joe to find accommodation that suits his needs. As he will be obtaining some work experience in a school library. The Case Manager is assisting Joe to find accommodation near the school and ensuring that this accommodation suits his needs and that this accommodation is compliant with the Code of Standards in ensuring that Joe is not prone to being ripped off by an unfair landlord or being placed with people that could be potential bullies or worse case scenario predators. By also having the Adult Social Group, Joe is reassured that he is no longer socially isolated and his potential in finding someone of the opposite sex may be higher in terms of a friendship or relationship instead of him remaining in social isolation.
Like Joe, whatever or however the NDIS or Disability Care is going to be implemented. There needs to be somewhere for the first port of call. Somewhere a person with a disability and Autism can go to know they will get help. This service does not even necessarily need to be paid but more importantly instigated by an Adult with Autism mentor. Can the government or even business take the time to consider how better services can be implemented without me sounding like a total deluded individual in thinking that the world will change when I am told it wont. Frankly I will just keep going on pushing for more rights of people with Autism because I believe these are needed. I don't think the services are good enough and I think Australian political parties and politicians could do much more than putting disability on the back burner. It is about time to start acting and delivering. There are a whole range of measures not only for people with Autism but for anyone with a disability in wanting better services to greatly enhance their lifestyle. I think it is disgraceful that not even some buildings even have wheel chair access to them and people with physical disabilities have to resort to crap services which they are just expected to put up. Even if a person with a disability is in employment and paying taxes then their taxes should go into services to assist them and not into the hands of greedy government to spend on projects that go nowhere. I can think of much more that needs implementation.
For many adults on the Autism Spectrum and I may not speak for all the following are needed.
1. Accommodation for Independent living that is fair and equitable. Also safe and not exposing to bullying and unsavoury conduct.
2. Better access to the community
3. Employment Consultant and Disability Friendly Employer
4. More awareness and acceptance of Autism and Disability in the wider community
5. Improved means of overcoming social isolation
6. Better access to services.
I will continue to work towards greater awareness of Autism acceptance in the wider community. The Adult Group is growing more and more here in Brisbane. I also know more adults world wide. I just ask the government, business, employers, organisations, communities etc to start waking up. If you don't like what I have to say then that is your choice but as long as free speech is permitted I will continue to speak my mind. I have had enough of parents, families and individuals in breakdown because people refuse to listen. I will be writing more blog posts later and I would encourage you to also support the many friends I have who also work tirelessly to raise awareness of Autism. They are doing great work and need your assistance and support also!
One of the things that needs in my opinion to provide adequate support and assistance for anyone with a disability is first of all a "Means Test" and secondly a "Case Worker". Although not the total solution, both these persons could provide the following. I will provide you with an example of where support should occur and how assistance can be provided.
Let us imagine that Joe is 19 and he has just finished school. His parents are very concerned about his future. Joe doesn't have many friends and spends a lot of time in front of the computer as he has no job. Joe also has social isolation and left untreated there is a strong possibility that he may development mental health issues leading to depression and possibly worse.
What therefore can the NDIS or Disability Care provide for Joe? I will provide a possible example.
As Joe has left school, Joe's parents have heard that in his area that access to services are possible. First of all Joe's parents access the Department of Disability Support and they are assigned to a Case Manager. This Case Manager sets up an appointment with Joe's parents and Joe to sit down and access the services which Joe needs and a "Means Assessment" of how Joe can be assisted. Joe is also assigned a Case Worker who works with Joe and his parents to find out what Joe requires. After sitting down with both Joe and his parents. The first thing of importance is accommodation. Joe's parents realise that Joe needs to look after himself but they know that Joe is unable to afford to live in the rental market as it is too expensive and Joe will need some help with day to day tasks. Joe's parents are informed that with any disability that the needs of adults vary from one to another. For instance the level of support for one young adult may be different to another and with this in mind a "Means Test" can determine exactly what level of support in Joe's case is required. Joe would like to live on his own but he feels that he may need some assistance with cooking and connecting to the community. The good thing is that the Department of Disability Support knows of an Adult Social Group for Adults on the Autism Spectrum. This Adult Group has adults from across the Autism Spectrum and they meet regularly as well as have persons not on the Autism Spectrum to assist them. Joe feels relieved that he can now connect with others and live independently. His Case Manager is working with Joe to find accommodation that suits his needs. As he will be obtaining some work experience in a school library. The Case Manager is assisting Joe to find accommodation near the school and ensuring that this accommodation suits his needs and that this accommodation is compliant with the Code of Standards in ensuring that Joe is not prone to being ripped off by an unfair landlord or being placed with people that could be potential bullies or worse case scenario predators. By also having the Adult Social Group, Joe is reassured that he is no longer socially isolated and his potential in finding someone of the opposite sex may be higher in terms of a friendship or relationship instead of him remaining in social isolation.
Like Joe, whatever or however the NDIS or Disability Care is going to be implemented. There needs to be somewhere for the first port of call. Somewhere a person with a disability and Autism can go to know they will get help. This service does not even necessarily need to be paid but more importantly instigated by an Adult with Autism mentor. Can the government or even business take the time to consider how better services can be implemented without me sounding like a total deluded individual in thinking that the world will change when I am told it wont. Frankly I will just keep going on pushing for more rights of people with Autism because I believe these are needed. I don't think the services are good enough and I think Australian political parties and politicians could do much more than putting disability on the back burner. It is about time to start acting and delivering. There are a whole range of measures not only for people with Autism but for anyone with a disability in wanting better services to greatly enhance their lifestyle. I think it is disgraceful that not even some buildings even have wheel chair access to them and people with physical disabilities have to resort to crap services which they are just expected to put up. Even if a person with a disability is in employment and paying taxes then their taxes should go into services to assist them and not into the hands of greedy government to spend on projects that go nowhere. I can think of much more that needs implementation.
For many adults on the Autism Spectrum and I may not speak for all the following are needed.
1. Accommodation for Independent living that is fair and equitable. Also safe and not exposing to bullying and unsavoury conduct.
2. Better access to the community
3. Employment Consultant and Disability Friendly Employer
4. More awareness and acceptance of Autism and Disability in the wider community
5. Improved means of overcoming social isolation
6. Better access to services.
I will continue to work towards greater awareness of Autism acceptance in the wider community. The Adult Group is growing more and more here in Brisbane. I also know more adults world wide. I just ask the government, business, employers, organisations, communities etc to start waking up. If you don't like what I have to say then that is your choice but as long as free speech is permitted I will continue to speak my mind. I have had enough of parents, families and individuals in breakdown because people refuse to listen. I will be writing more blog posts later and I would encourage you to also support the many friends I have who also work tirelessly to raise awareness of Autism. They are doing great work and need your assistance and support also!
| Acceptance and cohesion |
No comments:
Post a Comment