Sunday, January 15, 2012

Will the world ever understand Autism?

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is that I fear the Autism Community is beginning to implode.  It seems that a lot of Aspies choose the easier way out of becoming dysfuncational more so than trying to stand united.  There are many advocates who are trying to create a positive message but those of us in the Autism Community need to stand shoulder to shoulder.

I feel it hard work if I am to do advocacy when other persons on the Autism Spectrum do not try hard enough or perhaps try to work harder at getting on with those who choose to advocate.   If the world is to understand Autism then it is the responsibility of those of us in the Autism Community to work together, to find positive solutions and approaches to be better understood.  We need to hear more positive stories and see more unity.

I believe that in my life time, getting the message out there is going to be tough work.  In order to remove the stigma and the label, we as an Autism Community need to start working towards solutions and trying to make Autism cool. We have many who can play musical instruments, have specialist abilities etc.  We need to encourage blogs, youtube videos and some website where all Aspies can share stories, experiences, talents etc

The word cannot be "Aspie" but as Aspies we need to learn the tools to better adjust and to fit in.  We need to work at creating greater networks which is a challenge for us and to try and make Autism cool.  I am fearful of Facebook because so many groups seem to be wallowing in sometimes dysfunctional behaviour. I have no interest in joining them and I am working at ways of overcoming my own difficulties so that I can better adjust and be understood by the world around me.  I know many adults who are an inspiration and have a great deal of intelligence but it saddens me that the media show no interest in this. Instead negative portrayals occur instead of positive ones.  Hopefully in time this will change.

If the Autism Community want the world to better understand then there needs to be more unity and cohesion instead of dysfunctional and uncacceptable behaviour.  It is a challenge but we need to strive harder to make things happen more so in a positive way!  We need to remain optomistic despite the challenges that lay ahead.