Saturday, December 31, 2011

Trying to deal with the bigger picture

Processing information and trying to make sense of the world can be difficult for most if not all people.  For me however I often do not understand people's motives.  People can say something and entirely mean something else which can often make things very confusing.  I have been advised that I should 'break away' from having Asperger Syndrome and that being around other Aspies does not help me.  However such advice does not really help me for if I try to be someone I am not, I end up a second rate neuro typical.

The Brisbane scene is one which often had a blokey atmosphere.  Yesterday I visited Bulimba in Brisbane to get something to eat.  I was served by an Alpha Male type who seemed to have annoying traits.  Furthermore, I do not understand why but some non Autistic women can be annoying as well.  They seem to think that a person should act in a way that they feel is appropriate whereas instead I just find most women suppress their feminity or can be quite hostile.

Navigating the social world can be especially difficult if you think and act differently to other people. Also heightened anxiety can also add to problems.  Yesterday I tried out "Soul Power Healing" in Brisbane.  Quite simply this focuses on a means of dealing with the inner self and controlling anxiety.  I think it may benefit a lot of people, especially those on the Autism Spectrum where anxiety can be a problem.  I also spoke to the person running the group who works for Education Queensland.  She works with Autistic teens and assists them in managing anxiety levels which she believes is a success.  I hope that for adults something similar may also occur for them to help them manage anxiety.

The bigger picture can often be confusing and most of the time the only means to deal with it is to have times of exclusion from the world around me.  It is like stepping out into smoke and mirrors and not knowing which way you are walking and navigating.  I also had the pleasure last night to talk to John Greally a fellow Aspie from New Zealand, near Wellington.  John is a little older than me but has a wealth of wisdom and experience in trying to deal with Aspergers himself.  John and I would like to both see a vast improvement and unity in both Australia and New Zealand to get more awareness out there.  Unfortunately due to our we perhaps may not have all the energy that some of the other adults have. We just need more adults to stand shoulder to shoulder to make change happen and to prevent the chains of discrimination from continuing.  As Martin Luther King said in 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial "I have a dream".  Well as I have stated repeatedly the dream for us is inclusion, understanding and acceptance within the Autism Community which unlike the civil rights movement effects persons from all over the globe.  Let us hope that 2012 will be a better year.  Martin Luther King speech which now should be transcribed for those of us on the Autism Spectrum.