Monday, December 5, 2011

Does it really feel like a prison sentence?

Navigating the social world can be extremely vexing.  Living in your head can be constant but stepping outside of it and into the regular world can be both daunting and overwhelming.  The problem I find is communication does not come naturally.  I need to invest large amounts of mental energy into communication and this in itself can be draining and also let to mental melt down.  This occuring when I can no longer think and feel I need time out from a situation.

I don't want to sound negative but having Aspergers can be a bit like a prison sentence at times.  Sometimes rumination can be a problem or having to deal with over thinking and analysis of situations.  It is like an Aspie is almost telapathic in that communication is mostly internal with only words being used to convey certain thoughts and feelings.  Living inside our heads seems to be more of a reality than being exposed or able to participate within a social situation.  Now if you apply what I have mentioned to social situations is it any wonder why it is difficult to make friends and form relationships?

No matter how hard you can try to overcome Asperger Syndrome, it tends to weigh you down.  I don't want to sound negative but the realities do exist as well as the literal interpretation.  Even in a special interest, the obsession with this can drive others away or turn them off.

In order to overcome the so called prison sentence strategies of anxiety management and methods of reciprocation need to be implemented where necessary.  Aspies I find are often good at talking about themselves but very few actually ask about the other person.  For instance how are they or to know when to initiate reciprocal communication.  I think the Aspie mindset can often create difficulties also in that once an Aspie has established a mindset then it is hard to change them.

The prison sentence occurs because other people cannot see exactly how Asperger Syndrome affects a person.  An Aspie can look like everybody else but yet all this internal activity is going on inside our heads.  In a group situation an Aspie is not ignoring a conversation but perhaps over thinking information.  Not all are the same but most live in their heads.  Perhaps this is why computers are a very popular tool of communication?  A means of non verbal communication?   It can be difficult to step out of Asperger thinking and indeed if one tries it can be difficult to keep this consistent.  It is really hard having Asperger Syndrome I find and all you can do is try your best to cope with it and get by as best as possible.  I don't like the use of a prison sentence to describe having Asperger Syndrome but until society starts to accept and understand it better this is how many people on the Autism Spectrum including myself are going to mostly feel.  We just need more awareness, education and understanding.