Saturday, November 26, 2011

Positive role models required.

In the world today it is hard to find positive role models.  In my own life though I have been fortunate to have had some positive role models.  It can be very difficult when there are no others around in whom you can strive towards exemplary standards and good principles.  However when getting a job, you can find some good people in the area of management.

In 1999, my first real job was working in the Queensland Parliamentary Library.  I don't know why but I find female managers are persons I look up to more so than male managers.  I find most male managers seem to have a false sense of ego and want to try and prove some nonsense masculinity insecurity with you.  I enjoyed working in the Queensland Parliamentary Library because I could go to work and I felt I was valued.  I used to wear a shirt and a tie as well as sports coats.  I was also confident in that I used to enter the Parliamentary Library via the main parliamentary stairwell.  There existed this stupid attitude amongst the parliamentary attendance staff that I thought I was better than them.  Whenever I entered or left because I had to catch a bus that left at 4.45pm, that life would be made difficult.  I had to surrender my parliamentary pass and what's more I had to observe this stupid inferiority mentality that existed.

Anyhow I enjoyed my time working in audio visual.  I worked with an older man whom I assisted in encoding videos onto CD's and DVD Roms.  I spent my days watching old "Country Wide" episodes as well as archive parliamentary footage.  I even was able to tape news segments which related specifically to politics.  So I was in my elements just having recently completed a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Politics and Sociology.  I would spend my lunch hours trying to find quiet space in Parliament House.  I would often walk into the disused Legislative Council Chamber and sit in the Queen's Chair.  I did this when nobody looked of course.  I also used to analyse the parliamentary term boards to see when and where my Great Grandfather who was an MLA in the Queensland Parliament was on the board.  He served as a Ministerialist between 1889 to 1899.  My mind was always looking for similarities as well as historical moments.

When I worked in the Parliamentary Library I worked under a very good manager.  She always ensured that I was given good direction within the work environment and more importantly was approachable.  I also undertook data entry and other duties.  I worked in the Queensland Parliamentary Library for 6 months but was again unemployed when another staff member came back from Long Service Leave.  Positive role models assisted greatly in helping me to refine some of my social skills which I have today.  Of course I still have a long way to go but I never give up.  My latest Positive Role Models