This Friday I will be meeting with K J Ross & Associates Software Testing and Professor Paul Stropper from the University of Queensland concerning software testing for adults on the Autism Spectrum and for Brisbane to come on board. I cannot make any promises at the meeting that employment can be created immediately for adults on the Autism Spectrum but it is important to get the ball rolling.
This morning I received an email from Chris Mitchell at Autism Works In this email Chris informed me that Autism Works has now employed 5 adults on the Autism Spectrum as software testers. This is great news and it seems as though Autism Works are playing their part in reducing unemployment in adults on the Autism Spectrum. In Australia there still seems to be no software testing employer and despite all efforts, it seems to be taking time for something to start here. So this is why I need to take urgent action in trying my best to get something done.
Unemployment amongst the Autism Community remains very high. A lot of adults have very good minds but lack the necessary experience to get a job. Most are coping as best they can and others are close or have already given up. Why for instance in Australia and New Zealand are some adults confined to a Disability Pension or an Invalid Pension when they could be working for an employer who best understands their needs and abilities? It is only a matter of time I guess until something changes.
Next year Asperger Services Australia will be hosting their conference. Hopefully as many adults as possible will be able to attend. There is already interest from within Australia and New Zealand for adults to attend the conference but the wider community need to understand more also. Hopefully this will occur.
I hope to provide updates on Friday's meeting and please stay tuned to my blog for more updates
Kind regards
Garry Burge
http://www.garryburge.com
This morning I received an email from Chris Mitchell at Autism Works In this email Chris informed me that Autism Works has now employed 5 adults on the Autism Spectrum as software testers. This is great news and it seems as though Autism Works are playing their part in reducing unemployment in adults on the Autism Spectrum. In Australia there still seems to be no software testing employer and despite all efforts, it seems to be taking time for something to start here. So this is why I need to take urgent action in trying my best to get something done.
Unemployment amongst the Autism Community remains very high. A lot of adults have very good minds but lack the necessary experience to get a job. Most are coping as best they can and others are close or have already given up. Why for instance in Australia and New Zealand are some adults confined to a Disability Pension or an Invalid Pension when they could be working for an employer who best understands their needs and abilities? It is only a matter of time I guess until something changes.
Next year Asperger Services Australia will be hosting their conference. Hopefully as many adults as possible will be able to attend. There is already interest from within Australia and New Zealand for adults to attend the conference but the wider community need to understand more also. Hopefully this will occur.
I hope to provide updates on Friday's meeting and please stay tuned to my blog for more updates
Kind regards
Garry Burge
http://www.garryburge.com