Sunday, November 13, 2011

How can Asperger Syndrome be defined as a social skills disability

In my own situation I would describe Asperger Syndrome for me as me being disabled socially. I find it hard to make friends and to communicate with the world around me.  I am able to socalise where necessary but the main difficulty I find is being able to adjust to the work environment.  I find holding down a job often a difficult task.  I am able to do the job but I find it repetitive.  Quite often I am doing routine work but knowing the social skills necessary in order to obtain promotion or acceptance within the work environment difficult.

I am 39 years of age and I still find it difficult making friends.  This year I have had 2 failed friendships with persons on the Autism Spectrum as well as several not on the Autism Spectrum.  I just need and am trying to work on some cognitive issues which I have and trying to overcome these. The main difficult has been mainly due to anxiety and an inability to know what exactly was required in the friendships.  I also seem to struggle with relationships and find I do not get anywhere.  People can say that I need to try harder or join more things but does such an approach really help when  you are 'disabled socially".  As a result of my own inability to make friends and to understand the social skills necessary I virtually spend almost all of my life within social isolation.  People think I am like them but yet my cognitive wiring is different.  I just think differently to them even though I look the same.

If I were to describe Asperger Syndrome as being disabled socially I would more or less imply that the word 'disabled' would more apply to the non Autistic population not understand or being able to deal with the symptoms.  It is not easy for the non Autistic person to easily understand as being disabled socially is not always apparent.  People never allow the person on the Autism Spectrum enough time to be understood or more importantly the person with Asperger Syndrome may just think and act differently.  The only way a greater understanding and awareness of being disabled socially can occur is for a greater awareness.  It is almost like the non Autistic population need a guide book as to understand the Autistic Person better.

As a person on the Autism Spectrum would you describe yourself as being disabled socially and what are your opinions on such a term?  Also does being disabled socially interfere with forming friendships and having an affect on job interviews?  Do you think also that friendships for persons both on the Autism Spectrum are easy?  Perhaps something for you to think about?