Monday, October 31, 2011

Autism Unemployment

One of the concerns I have for adults on the Autism Spectrum is unemployment.  Employment is a means of structure and allows for a scaffolding in the person's life and without it, social isolation, depression and anxiety may result.  Not all adults on the Autism Spectrum are able to work or would like to however, long periods of being out of work create the scenario that finding a job is impossible or unlikely.  I have known of some adults on the Autism Spectrum living their lives in front of computers and not interacting with people around them.  This is concerning as they lose confidence and are not interacting where they should or more importantly being challenged to take on responsibility.

I wrote my book "I Want To Work An Asperger Story" because unemployment in the adult population concerned me and I had to tell my story.  I have tried in the past to assist adults on the Autism Spectrum find employment but sadly some of them perhaps have been in a state of unemployment for too long.  They have given up or not getting the support or services they may require to enter the labor market.  The concern is the lack of social skills and also the lack of hope in believing employment is possible.  Low self esteem can further trigger anxiety in believing that entering a job is just simply not possible.

It took me several attempts to find employment.  I went through heartache and frustration but I did not give up. I think some adults on the Autism Spectrum want a job but what is concerning is they are just not getting the support and encouragement they need to land success in employment.  After school finishes an adult on the Autism Spectrum should be involved in training or volunteer work to keep their routine going. Once they stagnate on a disability pension it becomes harder.  They think employment is beyond them and just existing in itself can often be a challenge.  I really hope that more is done to alleviate unemployment levels in adults on the Autism Spectrum as most want to work but simply are not getting the support and services which they require.

I believe that for adults on the Autism Spectrum rather than sitting in front of a computer at home they should be utilising such skills in a more effective way. Why not employ them as software testers or encourage them to assist in the IT industry in a more positive way?  Surely changes need to occur to make things better?