There have been some very important developments over the past few weeks in terms of Autism Awareness. Copies of my book "I Want To Work An Asperger Story" are now available within some library distributors namely James Bennett, Peter Pal and also Autism Spectrum Australia. A copy of my book has also been sent to Footprint Books Australia for them to consider. Unfortunately I was again unsuccessful in my attempt to have the book published through Jessica Kingsley Publishers but such disappointing news opens some other doors. Alex Hawke MP the Member for Mitchell has been sent a copy of the book and on behalf of the advocacy work I do, I would like to thank Alex for his support. Alex Hawke has also shown interest in attending the conference for Adults with Asperger Syndrome hosted by Asperger Services Australia in February 2012. I hope to also been in touch with Alex Hawke over the coming months. Alex Hawke MP Hopefully Alex Hawke will follow through unlike some other members of parliament who have continuously let us down. I am still awaiting responses from some other politicans I have been in contact with. I am also pleased to announce and thank Val from South Australia for purchasing 10 copies of my book to circulate among friends and other interested persons. South Australia has shown a great deal of interest to my book with it recently also being added to the State Library of South Australia catalogue.
A few days ago I was in contact with Peter MacDonald from Autism Works. Peter has been keeping me posted with developments both he and Chris Mitchell are undertaking within this organisation. I have been informed by Peter that Chris Mitchell will be speaking at an International Autism Conference at the Stadium of Light near Newcastle in the United Kingdom. This work will be followed closely and I intend to contact Chris Mitchell at some stage to hear of any or more so important developments. I was also informed by Peter MacDonald that he has also been in contact with Autism Works in the United States. The work of both Peter MacDonald and Chris Mitchell needs to be admired for their perseverance, dedication, attention to detail, optimism and enthusiasm are very much invaluable.
On behalf of my advocacy work I express deep concern at the Gillard Government's lack of commitment towards the implementing the recommendations of the Australian Disability and Productivity Commission. Persons with disabilities cannot continue to be ignored in Australia and it is up to myself and other disability organisations to continue to push home the message and lobby where necessary to ensure that disability reform happens in Australia. The disability system is broken in Australia and it urgently needs to be fixed. It is not just up to one party or government to rectify it, it is up to all Australian political parties to come on board and this needs to happen soon.
On Thursday 13th October I will be speaking at the Rotary Club of Brisbane Planetarium about the advocacy work I do and also the book I have written. I will be focusing also on the challenges and achievements of persons on the Autism Spectrum as well as the need for Australia to come on board with software testing. As mentioned earlier both Denmark, the United States and the United Kingdom have come on board with software testing for adults on the Autism Spectrum, and Australia needs to come on board also. I hope that one of these companies will soon reach Australia and employ adults on the Autism Spectrum here. It provides real job opportunities for those who want and need them!
I have just started house sitting yesterday. I spent the whole afternoon getting prepared for the house sit which provides both myself and my parents a break. As the rental market is virtually unaffordable for adults on the Autism Spectrum, I house sit to obtain a means of living independently when I can get the chance. It cost me $80 to purchase groceries and I have the responsibility of looking after the two cats while the home owner is away. I have also been experiencing meltdown as I virtually have to do everything myself. It is hard to get help when there are no services and people do not always see the difficulties and challenges I confront. I am getting some support though through the University of Queensland Psychology Clinic by way of counseling. I am house sitting until the 14th November 2011 and I hope that I can also give my parents a break from the stresses and strains of living with me which can be very taxing on them. As stated earlier there are just no services for adults on the Autism Spectrum by way of accommodation.
I would also like to update anyone interested on developments for Aspergers@UQ. Our membership is growing and I intend at some stage to approach the group to see if we can find a room on campus at the University of Queensland where we can meet. The room would be away from noise, be conducive to our needs and more importantly provide us with a place for discussion and obtain support. I envisage a room where we can also play board games and just catch up with each other. I hope at some future stage that someone not on the Autism Spectrum can assist us in the group so that we can have external support. Hopefully the group will also be able to meet persons not on the Autism Spectrum. I also hope that group can assist with social skills difficulties, counseling and access to services where necessary. We just have to approach UQ to ask again for a room on campus and this so far has been extremely difficult. Please also be sure to visit Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults on Facebook for the latest research being undertaken by adults on the Autism Spectrum.
Recently I have been in contact with some adults on the Autism Spectrum. One adult I talk to regularly on Skype. He is trying to find a job and at some future stage he is interested maybe in becoming an advocate also. I have also been in touch with adults on the Autism Spectrum in the United States and I hope one day to again visit the United States to speak with these adults and to raise awareness as an adult from Australia. I need to go beyond Australia to look for greater support so that we can fast track our support here to adults that need the help.
I would like to conclude by thanking everyone concerned for your assistance. We have next year's conference to look forward to in Brisbane. For more information please visit www.asperger.asn.au and my own website www.garryburge.com Be sure to follow the work of Autism Works also www.autismworks.co.uk I have a lot more hard work to do and I am currently looking for more speaking opportunities where I can. I will be providing more updates shortly and for now I need to find help and support for myself also while I continue to campaign and stand up for adults on the Autism Spectrum.
I ask anyone viewing this post from the United States to seriously consider having me talk at a conference over there. I am able to afford my own travel which of course requires dedication and commitment. I prepare my own conference material and more importantly have a great deal of information to convey and inform. It may also interest your audience to hear of an account of an adult on the Autism Spectrum from Australia. I encourage you to visit my website below should you wish to contact me as I would really like to hear from you. I also would like to conclude by saying that I self fund my own Autism Advocacy. I devote almost all of my free time in raising awareness, contacting organisations, lobbying, raising awareness and organising book purchases which are not easy when you self publish. I really need to be admired in the hard work I do. So please I ask for your support to assist me where you can.
Kind and warm regards
Garry Burge
www.garryburge.com
A few days ago I was in contact with Peter MacDonald from Autism Works. Peter has been keeping me posted with developments both he and Chris Mitchell are undertaking within this organisation. I have been informed by Peter that Chris Mitchell will be speaking at an International Autism Conference at the Stadium of Light near Newcastle in the United Kingdom. This work will be followed closely and I intend to contact Chris Mitchell at some stage to hear of any or more so important developments. I was also informed by Peter MacDonald that he has also been in contact with Autism Works in the United States. The work of both Peter MacDonald and Chris Mitchell needs to be admired for their perseverance, dedication, attention to detail, optimism and enthusiasm are very much invaluable.
On behalf of my advocacy work I express deep concern at the Gillard Government's lack of commitment towards the implementing the recommendations of the Australian Disability and Productivity Commission. Persons with disabilities cannot continue to be ignored in Australia and it is up to myself and other disability organisations to continue to push home the message and lobby where necessary to ensure that disability reform happens in Australia. The disability system is broken in Australia and it urgently needs to be fixed. It is not just up to one party or government to rectify it, it is up to all Australian political parties to come on board and this needs to happen soon.
On Thursday 13th October I will be speaking at the Rotary Club of Brisbane Planetarium about the advocacy work I do and also the book I have written. I will be focusing also on the challenges and achievements of persons on the Autism Spectrum as well as the need for Australia to come on board with software testing. As mentioned earlier both Denmark, the United States and the United Kingdom have come on board with software testing for adults on the Autism Spectrum, and Australia needs to come on board also. I hope that one of these companies will soon reach Australia and employ adults on the Autism Spectrum here. It provides real job opportunities for those who want and need them!
I have just started house sitting yesterday. I spent the whole afternoon getting prepared for the house sit which provides both myself and my parents a break. As the rental market is virtually unaffordable for adults on the Autism Spectrum, I house sit to obtain a means of living independently when I can get the chance. It cost me $80 to purchase groceries and I have the responsibility of looking after the two cats while the home owner is away. I have also been experiencing meltdown as I virtually have to do everything myself. It is hard to get help when there are no services and people do not always see the difficulties and challenges I confront. I am getting some support though through the University of Queensland Psychology Clinic by way of counseling. I am house sitting until the 14th November 2011 and I hope that I can also give my parents a break from the stresses and strains of living with me which can be very taxing on them. As stated earlier there are just no services for adults on the Autism Spectrum by way of accommodation.
I would also like to update anyone interested on developments for Aspergers@UQ. Our membership is growing and I intend at some stage to approach the group to see if we can find a room on campus at the University of Queensland where we can meet. The room would be away from noise, be conducive to our needs and more importantly provide us with a place for discussion and obtain support. I envisage a room where we can also play board games and just catch up with each other. I hope at some future stage that someone not on the Autism Spectrum can assist us in the group so that we can have external support. Hopefully the group will also be able to meet persons not on the Autism Spectrum. I also hope that group can assist with social skills difficulties, counseling and access to services where necessary. We just have to approach UQ to ask again for a room on campus and this so far has been extremely difficult. Please also be sure to visit Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults on Facebook for the latest research being undertaken by adults on the Autism Spectrum.
Recently I have been in contact with some adults on the Autism Spectrum. One adult I talk to regularly on Skype. He is trying to find a job and at some future stage he is interested maybe in becoming an advocate also. I have also been in touch with adults on the Autism Spectrum in the United States and I hope one day to again visit the United States to speak with these adults and to raise awareness as an adult from Australia. I need to go beyond Australia to look for greater support so that we can fast track our support here to adults that need the help.
I would like to conclude by thanking everyone concerned for your assistance. We have next year's conference to look forward to in Brisbane. For more information please visit www.asperger.asn.au and my own website www.garryburge.com Be sure to follow the work of Autism Works also www.autismworks.co.uk I have a lot more hard work to do and I am currently looking for more speaking opportunities where I can. I will be providing more updates shortly and for now I need to find help and support for myself also while I continue to campaign and stand up for adults on the Autism Spectrum.
I ask anyone viewing this post from the United States to seriously consider having me talk at a conference over there. I am able to afford my own travel which of course requires dedication and commitment. I prepare my own conference material and more importantly have a great deal of information to convey and inform. It may also interest your audience to hear of an account of an adult on the Autism Spectrum from Australia. I encourage you to visit my website below should you wish to contact me as I would really like to hear from you. I also would like to conclude by saying that I self fund my own Autism Advocacy. I devote almost all of my free time in raising awareness, contacting organisations, lobbying, raising awareness and organising book purchases which are not easy when you self publish. I really need to be admired in the hard work I do. So please I ask for your support to assist me where you can.
Kind and warm regards
Garry Burge
www.garryburge.com