As most readers of my blog are aware and new ones who may be reading it, that I advocate for the Autism Spectrum as an adult. What I do have to emphasize is that with unemployment and suicide rates amongst the highest in this demographic, that life as a person on the Autism Spectrum can be compared to that of a second rate citizen. By this I mean without employment, services and support, you can feel as though your quality of life is a lot lower. It is harder to live on your own, have money to be able to afford to do things and be eligible or successful in relationships.
I know many men on the Autism Spectrum who are frustrated, socially isolated and angry with how this 'me society' continues to corrode community and impinge on mental health. It makes you sad when you hear of high unemployment rates, suicide in the worst instances or even within the general population a person dying in their home only to be discovered months or years later because community has deteriorated to cause isolation.
Yesterday I drove to a friend's place on the other side of Brisbane. As I drove on Brisbane's sub standard roads which are in need of a major upgrade, I looked at the Brisbane CBD and realised how ugly and uninviting it is becoming. Whereas once some old architecture existed, this has now been replaced by angular and unappealing concrete buildings. With the demolition of old buildings comes to cutting down of creativity only to replace this with an un inviting landscape and a cold populace. In other words I think Brisbane is not a world city and it is becoming uglier more and more. Some of the new bridges look out of place and infrastructure is seriously disadvantaging the city landscape.
I no longer feel safe in Brisbane anymore. Police are not on the beat, and driving around Brisbane has become a nightmare. Added to this the roads are largely unsafe and crime is fast becoming a problem. Brisbane's public transport system also lets the city down because either it is not on time, it is insufficient or there are unsavory people who use the poorly supervised system putting the honest and law abiding person at risk. It is just a big mess. I personally feel that Brisbane needs to become safe again and Queensland has to stop becoming the dumping ground with the rest of Australia of walking zombies. If things do not change soon, Australia is going to become a third world nation fast.
Internet Dating websites are also places I feel for persons to fake often their true identity. They are filled with a shallow sense of mentality where a person can disguise their motives in a cyber game. I have found them to be unhelpful and most of the women on them seem cold and lacking in femininity. Standards in society are fast disappearing. People have to stop pretending that things are ok because they are not. Responsibility needs to be dealt with and this me society is only destroying the very soul of humanity. If it continues, more and more people will become depressed, anxious, frustrated and lonely. Things need to change soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment