Friday, July 29, 2011

Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults is bigger and better

Since its inception Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults has now grown to over 200 members. The group of Facebook provides information, awareness and a place to connect for adults around the world. It is the hope of the group to provide up to date information and more importantly a place to connect to break down the barriers of social isolation and depression. The group consists of adults from around the world and plans are under way to make the group more supportive for adults.

Is support changing for adults?

To answer this question all I can simply say is that within my own advocacy I am coming into contact with more adults on the Autism Spectrum. I no longer feel alone and think it is truly awesome that I am connecting other Aspies as we like to call ourselves. We're all different as Aspies but the thing is that we also have supporters

One of the things I would like to see change in Australia is the letting down of this guard that disclosure of Autism or searching for help or showing emotion is some kind of weakness. It is not a weakness and we have to ensure adults feel proud of who they are and can lead the next generation of Aspies and give them hope. Important updates appear in the Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults group and we ask for you to visit our page. The group is but one way to connect adults and hopefully in time more support and greater awareness will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment