Saturday, June 11, 2011

Setting foot in Ireland

This morning I flew out of Newcastle for Belfast. The flight was in a propelled aircraft and it took only 40 mins. As the English countryside disappeared gradually below me to when I crossed the Irish Sea, I started to make my way into Belfast. I realized that my hire car was in an airport 30 miles away, and luckily I caught up with my friend Stephen. He was able to help me negiotate Belfast streets and before long I was to meet with him at his place before a guided tour by him of Belfast city. He showed me Belfast castle and the famous shipyard "Harlan and Wolffe" where the Titanic was built. A museum to commemorate the ship is being started.

It takes enormous courage to meet another person like myself who shares the same struggles. Meeting and making another friend was a good feeling. I hope that Stephen one day comes to
Australia?

Luckily I have GPS in the car but I am learning fast to drive a manual again. I am also learning the impatience of Irish drivers as I try to find my way around Ireland with them zooming past me. I am in no rush! I have tried to find an ancestral castle to no avail nearby and tomorrow I set off for the 189 mm trip to Galway. Updates soon

No comments:

Post a Comment