Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Connecting With God An Autistic Perspective

As an adult on the Autism Spectrum I often wonder if there is a God or perhaps God has a plan for me which is to educate the world more about Autism. I find myself often frustrated in wondering or not whether God is listening or providing me with the heavenly path to enlighten the world at large?
As a Christian, I find myself drawn to inspiring people whom I feel have more or less a positive charge of energy in them. These people have helped me to live my life and to understand better the world around me. Perhaps God brings people into a person’s life for a greater awareness and understanding of his enlightening energy.
There are several factors that draw me towards my own faith. One of these factors have been moments in my life which have had ‘divine intervention’ in them. These I cannot explain but they have left me baffled and wondering how it was possible for them to happen. In 2005 for instance, I remember being on the North Island of New Zealand. It was just outside of Rotorua that I by chance bumped into the manager of the employment agency where I was recently employed after many years of battling and search to find a job. I saw him from a distance but could not begin to fathom that in this freakish encounter that it would be him. He could not explain the brief encounter also. Was it the hand of God? Perhaps when or if I stand before God this question and some other divine interventions may be explained.
In 2008 while on Facebook I came into contact with a female on the Autism Spectrum living in the United States of America. She had been through a broken marriage and also a series of disastrous relationships. Both she and I contacted each other by Skype and by Facebook to eventually meet in September 2008. We were in each other’s company for 14 days and what is hard to explain is that both our needs were met. I was able to provide her with hope that meeting a decent guy was possible and she was able to provide me with love and support to help me overcome some of the difficulties of defining or more so proving my evolution into manhood. As the immigration process did not work and we thought that God would bring us together. Sadly this did not happen but in a positive sense, my meeting with this female concerned helped her to move on in her life and now enter a successful marriage. I was also able to connect her with friends and assist her with support. We have both since moved on and like many others have become one of the sad statistics of a hierarchical immigration process which works against those most vulnerable.
Do you ever meet people who provide a positive energy? Have you ever wondered if certain people have a heavenly aura around them? I have known people like this and perhaps it may be something that is part of God’s plan. I feel in my own life that God wants me to do the advocacy work I do. Sometimes when I write I feel it is not me that is actually writing and the words seem to flow out of me like water out of a fountain. I cannot explain this but I just learn to accept and deal with it as best I can. I feel that God wants me to better inform the world about Autism so that people around me can better understand. I remember a scene from the movie “The Poseidon Adventure” to when Reverend Scott who was played by Gene Hackman encouraged cynical people to go with him as he knew the way to survival. In his own words he said “Look the sea is going to keep pouring in and we are going to sink deeper, but at least it’s a chance. If you stay here you will certainly die”. Despite the words of Reverend Scott the cynical people cried out “You don’t know what you’re talking about”. As an explosion occurred in the ship suddenly a mass panic climbed the “Tree of Life” being a Christmas tree with their efforts failing.
For all of us we may not see the path ahead and we may choose to ignore it. It is only in time of crisis that such a path may become clearer and people start to question the world around them.
I do not compare myself to Jesus but I do believe that God does exist despite some people who don’t or may not choose to believe. Believing in God can offer the path to prosperity but a person has to find their own path. This can take time and perhaps further time.
I will now leave you with the scene from the movie “The Poseidon Adventure” starring Gene Hackman

No comments:

Post a Comment