I am not really very comfortable in writing this post but I believe I need to compose and post it. I am often very concerned of what will happen to me after my parents do pass on. My siblings have their own families and I don't want to appear a burden to them. Also not being married nor in a relationship, I guess I will need to live on my own or at the very worst go into some kind of residential care.
I am often afraid of thinking about the future. I am concerned as to know what will happen to me and more importantly when my own time comes to depart this earth. Will I die alone? Will I be lonely in my latter years? Will there be services to help me and other adults on the Autism Spectrum as they too get older?
The future seems precarious when you don't fit into the conventional mold and framework of society. Often not being able to afford comfortable accommodation and more importantly being socially isolated does tend to make you feel concerned as you get older. What is more important is your own physical and mental health.
I don't like the thought of thinking about life after my parents are no longer here but life does change and such concerns do become a reality. I really feel at times a huge burden upon me that I should be doing more with my life or I should somehow be making decisions to think about my future. For adults with Autism we need a life insurance policy. We need a strategy after an age of 60 to consider how we will spend the rest of our lives. Some of us may never get married and may be chose or prefer to live on our own. As we get older the means of looking after ourselves will inevitably deteriorate and someone needs to be responsible when we can no longer function.
Adults with Autism need to be accommodated and services need to be implemented as soon as possible. Perhaps Autism socities need to look more into providing services for adults which assist in the area of accommodation, lifestyle management, and health and well being. I can only hope that my health holds up in the meantime and perhaps my circumstances will change in the future. I am not sure if I will ever enter a relationship again or be married or live on my own. I do know my time will come but in the meantime I need to look after myself as best I can. I also need to look after my parents as best I can also. Who knows what the future holds??!!
No comments:
Post a Comment