Thursday, February 3, 2011

Effective awareness my own strategy

When I try to get on with my life, I try to know when I should or should not mention Asperger Syndrome. In some situations I feel I need to but in other times, it simply is not necessary. It is a matter of knowing who to tell and whom not to tell. The best way to see raising awareness, is to think of the small pockets in society where awareness may go a long way. Take for instance the friendly old lady at the bakery, an approachable contact you may meet when you are walking your dog or just someone whom you consider may be opened minded. I have found that having my own business card is a means for a person to look up later some information about Autism rather than going through the often tiring job of trying to explain it all of the time.

I do think attitudes can be changed and providing awareness where you can is often a good way. We need to show Autism positively more so than negatively. It can be done. Advocacy is not only just with Dr Tony Attwood, other adults and myself but it is also with you. Every individual whether they be friend or family member who may know of someone on the Autism Spectrum can themselves be an advocate. All you need is to create your own business card and on this card perhaps have a link to a website such as Google or Dr Tony Attwood etc outlining Asperger Syndrome. It may go a long way to help raise awareness.

Together we can all be advocates and bring forward a positive message and at the same time help adults and children with Autism as well.

At conferences people may not feel comfortable with asking questions so it is important that you put them in touch with someone who can answer them. This is not only people at conferences but a person you may even meet in a supermarket who you may strike up a friendly chat with. Just by handing them a card and saying "Oh thanks for the chat but before I go, I thought you might be interested in this card". Please do not force the card onto them but merely hand it to them in a way that hopefully they will look at it later. Maybe Dr Attwood could produce cards and hand it out to adults who contact his office so we can help get the message out there? There are some useful links out there and the best source of information is those who are experts in Asperger Syndrome. I refer to Dr Tony Attwood's website as he is a primary source. There are other primary sources out there and it is important I feel that you encourage a person to look at a primary source than someone who is not. The primary source knows the best and most appropriate answers and provides the most accurate information. Also if Dr Tony Attwood visits your town please do visit him and hear him speak. He has a wealth of information and he is doing his best to get the message out there. It is often hard to talk to Dr Attwood and sadly like many people he is only one man. He does answer emails at times and I try to send him information which I feel may be of use to him. At times I know and hope that he is able to read information that not only me but others within the Autism Community send to him. I understand he is just too busy to reply. I am hoping to touch base with Dr Attwood in the not too distant future but feel as his time is often scarce that perhaps email is the best form of communication. We can all play our part where we can in raising awareness of Asperger Syndrome within the wider community.

No comments:

Post a Comment