I believe one of the biggest stumbling blocks in understanding and seeing Autism in adults is the lack of awareness within the evolutionary process. In my own case, people do not understand me because such people have been socialised in a system which does not tend to modify or attempt to embrace the very symptoms of Autism. As an adult on the Autism Spectrum I find that being yourself people often seem to react either in a hostile or dismissive manner. Why is he different? Why does he behave the way he does? Why does he think differently and does he intend to? These are some questions I believe people may think or act but the difficulty arises of reading too much into situations so you never really can get your point across even if you feel you need to.
As an adult with Autism, I find people very confusing to understand the greater percentage of time? Why do people say things and not mean them? Why when I look like everyone else do people seem to think that there is nothing wrong with me and believe I am making it all up? It just seems impossible even if you utter a word or you choose to be silent. People also seem to keep away from me like I am a Leper. What disease do you have?? I often find myself on the outer with people and them just not seeing that Autism exists within adults. At times you feel like you need a loud speaker just to get your message across.
When looking at future generations, early intervention does help in raising awareness at an early age. People know the person has Autism and know how she or he may work and this helps them through life. Again I don't know and I am only speculating. What is it like for adults with Autism? Where is our protecting scaffolding when we need it? We can only hope that future thinking will change and more tolerance with flourish.
No comments:
Post a Comment