I draw comfort in that more and more adults around the world are starting to promote more awareness of Asperger Syndrome. This afternoon I was fortunate to catch up with one of my friends Damian who is on the Autism Spectrum undertaking a PhD this year "Emotion Regulation in Adolescents with ASD". Damian will be beginning his PhD this year and I hope to assist him where I can to help him get through in a minor way. Damian's work is important for both he and his academic supervisor will be targeting adolescences on the Autism Spectrum with a focus away from children and more directed towards the latter stages of developments. I am sure we can all be supportive and follow Damian's work with interest while he undertakes his PhD at the University of Queensland.
I also would like to mention Chris who is in the United Kingdom and involved with Autism Works. The work Chris is doing is paramount in that he and his company will soon be recruiting their first adult on the Autism Spectrum as a software tester. We can only wait and see how this goes and I am sure that the Autism Works website will be able to provide the general public with up to date information.
I am also proud of my own achievements and that of other adults around the work who are also undertaking pioneering efforts. One of them is Jesse who has just written a book on his own account of having Asperger Syndrome. There are also other adults who I cannot forget to mention but the good thing is more and more are starting to become united in our drive to promote and raise more awareness of the Autism Spectrum in adults. As adults we do not expect the world to change but I am sure that I can speak for all in that providing more awareness will help break down the barriers of ignorance and intolerance.
We can all look forward to 2011 as being an exciting year and it would be good to live in a world that understands Asperger Syndrome more so than questions it and causes adults on the Autism Spectrum to feel isolated, lonely and sadly unemployed. Things I believe are starting to look more positive.
No comments:
Post a Comment