As a person on the Autism Spectrum I find strong personalities are difficult to handle. In both employment and in social situations, a strong personality triggers anxiety. This is because I find that I have to constantly approach when I have to the person with the strong personality and feel extreme anxiety when trying to stand up for myself or something which may affect me personally. Living arrangements can be especially difficult when you may be required to share a house or perhaps work in a work environment. The person with the stronger personalities makes you feel as follows
1. Anxious and stressed
2. Affects sleep patterns because your mind worries about dealing with the person
3. A feeling of being bullied or intimidated
4. Anxious about when the other person may encroach or interfere with your personal space and boundaries
5. Feeling anxious about the person's response when you try and stand up to them
I have endured stronger personalities in my own life and I have virtually felt stressed, anxious and worn out. My life style is also affected and if the behaviour exists in a work environment it may cause me to take days off sick or finding ways to avoid the person altogether. Shared accommodation is also difficult as the person may interfere with stress, anxiety and sleep levels. For instance the person may play music or want to socialise at 12am at night and the person with Asperger Syndrome may feel stressed about approaching the person and standing up for their rights to ensure our own personal space is protected. I find personally that having Asperger Syndrome and dealing with stronger personalities just do not mix. I have been so stressed and anxious that my quality of life is personally affected.
No comments:
Post a Comment