Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Aspergers the adult epidemic

As I type this blog post from on my IPhone from Ballarat I feel somewhat reassured that I am not the only adult affected by the Austism Spectrum. As more adults are now becoming diagnosed the barriers of ignorance in Australia need to be broken down. I do not see having Asperger Syndrome as a burden nor do I see it as some kind of weakness that I need to shirk as other people do not want to accept it. As time moves foreward the Australian community need to let more light into the closed and narrow tunnel of darkness. How much longer do adults with Autism need to confront unemployment and rejection? How much bullying is required for confidence and self esteem to become an ever growing problem?! More so how much awareness is required to penetrate and crush these barriers of ignorance?

Need I remind you that a man whose people confronted inequality was to speak in Washington DC in 1963 to bring to the government the issues of racism. Having Autism is more of a silent struggle. People do not see the hearts that bleed, the families who suffer in silence and all that is required is a person to rise and speak for a sent majority. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln said that "A house divided against itself cannot stand" and "nor can a nation exist half slave and half free". For adults and children on the Autism Spectrum how long do we need to endure the same inequality? I am not a person who will achieve in this world because I confront barriers and difficulty. I am trying to help adults affected by Autusm obtain employment and still nothing is being done. Will our political leaders do something about Autism in 2011 or will persons affected by Autism confront the resistance to change which exists in Australia at present. Let us hope that 2011 will be better than what exists at present!

No comments:

Post a Comment