Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crawling out of the adult wilderness

In a recent conference where I spoke with Associate Professor Dr Kate Sofronoff, Kate, myself and other adults spoke of our experiences with Autism and more importantly how Autism extends from childhood into adulthood. Associate Professor Kate Sofronoff spoke about how the scaffolding gives way in childhood and is non existent in adulthood for adults with Autism. I thought it therefore necessary from my own experiences to provide some strategies in dealing with Autism which may help other adults?

Some of the strategies I outline are below

1. As an adult I have been diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum where to from now? Answer - The best thing to do is to try and come to terms with your strengths and weaknesses and more importantly find help where you can obtain it. Try not to compare or measure yourself against mainstream society but more importantly look for services which may help. In some countries essential services may be hard to find but the most important thing to do is to find an Autism Society in your area and contact them concerning your issues or areas where you may need or require help. Try to find a counselor who is supportive and inform them that you may required CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). Help is there but you may need to persevere as hard as you can to get it.

2. I am an adult and I am unemployed and find it difficult to get a job. Answer - Try and find a disability employment agency and ensure you get a job coach. A job coach needs to understand you as an adult and more importantly you need to work with the job coach to ensure what job is suitable for you. It is important that the job coach depending on your level of need or support assists you with job searching, interview attendance, training and staff development where necessary. Try to work out also if you are suited to full time or part time work. Some adults find full time work challenging and may prefer entry into employment on a part time basis. When speaking with Dr Tony Attwood, Dr Attwood has advised and I agree with him that approach family, friends and potential employers about undertaking a work placement and or experience.

3. I am an adult and I looking for a relationship. Answer - Try not to focus too much on relationships and joining internet dating agencies. Often you can be ripped off or confront humiliation from them. The more social networks you may be able to join will increase your chances of meeting other people, making friends or entering a relationship. It can be very difficult to join a lot of organisations due to the lack of understanding social skills difficulties for adults with Autism but perhaps you can mention your strong points when joining such organisations as an adult on the Autism Spectrum.

4. Overcoming social isolation and depression - For adults, strong evidence of overcoming social skills difficulties has been assisted by joining Toastmasters. Toastmasters helps people to communicate effectively and I am currently looking at ways of approaching Toastmasters to adapt certain ways of assisting with communication for adults with Autism. As a start join a Toastmasters Club and make yourself known to the club and inform them you have AS and want to improve your social skills. The more awareness the better! When dealing with depression, I believe adults need to undertake exercise regularly, particularly in the area of cardio vascular work. I know a lot of adults who exercise regularly by attending a gym and doing cardio work which drastically reduces their anxiety levels. Exercise does not have to be intense but more so regular to ensure serotonin and other brain chemicals are being released to reduce anxiety.

5. I need to get my driver's licence or find a way of getting around as I don't have a car or transportation. Answer - A strategy to this may be to approach a Defensive Driving Academy/School. I am not totally sure but within this environment the person can drive a car in a a safe area without other traffic or motorists being around. Depending on your level of income, you as an adult can combine this with driving lessons or a friend who is willing to help you get some practise to obtain the necessary practical experience when trying to obtain your Driver's Licence.

6. Most adults experience bullying and their self esteem can be low. Answer - Bullying is an unfortunate experience that a lot of adults have endured in their lives. It can cause emotional scarring but it can be overcome in time. Try to look for counseling services which may be able to provide help to you in order to heal from such experiences.

7. Society does not understand me as an adult with Autism. Answer - Not everyone is closed minded to Autism. Some sectors of the community wear blinkers or close their shutters to Autism and this is not your problem but more so their problem. Find people within the community who understand you and Autism and it is important to realise that not everyone is bad or against you. An Autism Alert Card can be purchased very cheaply online from the National Autistic Society in the United Kingdom and you could take this card with you as it is also a tool for more awareness of Autism. The card can be obtained by visiting this link http://www.autism.org.uk/en-GB/Products/Core-NAS-publications/Autism-Alert-Cards.aspx

8. I find it hard as an adult to have a lighter side or to engage in social chit chat - Answer - Social Chit Chat is not easy for Aspies but perhaps visiting a speech therapist may help to assist with speech tone improvement and trying to understand non visual cues better.

9. I find people ignore me or don't respond to my email, text, social utility or phone messages. Often this is hard to understand but people can sometimes be busy and may not always have the chance to respond to messages. It is better to just get on with life and hope that friends and family will catch up with you when they can.

10. I am having issues with TOM (Theory of Mind). Some people are not always able to understand Aspie thinking. Aspies tend to over think and assume things too much at times. Added to this Aspies can be one dimensional thinkers and fail to grasp the importance of seeing all sides of a situation. It may be appropriate to look at a certain situation from all perspectives rather than a black or white response.

11. Sometimes I am unable to sleep as my mind turns over and over. Answer - As an adult you may need to ensure you have sleep hygiene. Sleep hygiene is ensuring that you go to bed with a clear mind and a calming process. Perhaps read a lighthearted novel, listen to some calm music, avoid staring at a computer or television before going to bed.

12. Sensory issues - If you encounter sensory issue problems try wearing an ear piece or putting ear plugs into your ears where noise can be a problem. If your eyes cannot handle glare then wear a hat or dark sunglasses to ensure your eyes are protected. If certain fabrics annoy you then don't wear them. Find suitable fabrics that don't annoy your skin. If you also get social meltdown, take some time out and calm down. You will soon recover.

13. I find everything needs to have a routine or be predictable. Answer - Often it is difficult to break routine but think of how you may benefit or some coping strategies when breaking routine. Sometimes breaking routine can be liberating although anxiety provoking.

14. I am feeling anxious or about to have a panic attack Answer - Try to ensure you perform deep breathing exercises. Breath through your nose and out through your mouth and keep doing this until you feel the anxiety starting to subside. If you are about to experience an anxiety attack, just realise that anxiety will not kill you it will just unsettle you. Sometimes taking magnesium tablets can significantly reduce anxiety levels and this is again from personal experience.

Hopefully the above will assist adults from my experiences of having Asperger Syndrome. If I can think of anymore, I will mention them in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment