Sunday, November 7, 2010

Being literal and to the point

I am going to say this and as angry as it may seem or as direct as it may sound, I really have to say it! Certain sectors of the community may think that all I do is whinge about the hardships in the world and how people on the Autism Spectrum have it tough. Ok I will say this in the defence of people with Autism and more importantly what I will say comes from my own personal experience. People on the Autism Spectrum are not always aware of what they do or what they say, and this is why we struggle as individuals as the disorder is not visible to you when you see us. Ordinary people are not aware of the internal struggles that happen behind the scenes and more importantly the high unemployment rates that exist within adults. Surely if a society is going to be equal and fair, then why does a certain percentage of the population who want to be given a chance simply forgotten about or overlooked? It this what you call equality and equal opportunity?

Life is not easy for anyone but the only way to be is to be optimistic. I have battled depression and severe anxiety in my life, and I have found strategies to the best of my ability to cope in such situations. I have been unemployed myself and I have been through some difficult periods in my life also. I always believe despite being called negative, that a positive and optimistic approach is always required in life. I see people who work hard and invest a lot of their time in representing members of the community that need help. Yes I am aware that there are other sectors of the community that need help also. I am well aware of this! I do however, encounter the difficult situation of people not seeing me or the struggles of other adults with Autism. Why should I as an adult and more importantly the Australian community sit around and pretend that Autism is not a reality? Why should unemployment and a lower quality of life in adults exist?! Does society think that because these people are unable to work that they should be made to endure unemployment and neglect? I am only one person but believe me there are many others behind me who share in the frustrations and lack of awareness that exist within society. People are not to blame it is this very fabric of present way structure that needs to change.

Early intervention needs to happen in schools of diagnosing and providing support for children with Autism. Is it happening? From what I can see no it is not and the governments quite frankly need to get off their behinds and do something about it if we are going to make change for the future! For society to understand and views to change then it has to start happening early in life.

I also am aware of the tireless efforts of volunteer organisations which desperately need funding and they are not getting this. Again I am aware of other needs in the community but are these needs life long and more importantly are people fully versed in their awareness of them. Quite frankly people can either stick with me or they can choose what option they so please but if nobody whinges then what can be done! Benjamin Franklin concocted the famous saying "A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one". Surely for things to change awareness needs to occur and if this is seen as whinging then so be it. If it means change then it is necessary for change to occur.

If I am whinging or investing too much of my time in Autism then how will the future for people on the Autism Spectrum be better? Once this generation of pioneers ceases to be, then what kind of legacy will there be for the future generations if nothing has been done? Open your eyes and look around you more so than being on the defensive and not becoming aware of the realities and the true life experiences that are happening around you. Things really need to change and more so than be on the defensive instead ask yourself how you can make the world a better place for not only people with Autism but for people in general? The world as I see it is in a mess and nobody seems to be responsible for their own actions. Surely this is one key factor that also needs to change? I think people spend and invest too much of their time in avoiding or shirking responsibility. Too much time is also spent in watching the negative press that exists in the world and how the mass media takes a way a person's thinking. Also this too much choice business needs to focus more on quality more so than quantity. Just use your brain, think and make a go of your life! Life is too short to be sitting around pondering or wondering what better things can be done. Be happy you have good health, you can see the sky, see colours around you and more importantly know that you are just as capable as other people around you. One of the things that really irritates me and I think it is a deep routed human insecurity is other people that think they are better than you. I find this artificial, hollow and shallow. Everybody shares the same amount of time on earth and nobody is inferior or superior to anyone else unless they are deeply insecure.

No comments:

Post a Comment