Saturday, October 9, 2010

Trying to make progress

Yesterday I applied again for the 20th time for a Library Assistant Position and I am hoping that I will be given a chance to go beyond my current situation and position. It would be good to be able to learn more and contribute my energies at a higher level than just mainly shelving books and handling books which is what I am doing currently. It is often hard to get ahead unless you are given a chance to demonstrate your skills and abilities.

I am hoping that I am able to work part time which will allow me to continue with the Asperger Syndrome Advocacy I do in my spare time. I have also sent Dr Tony Attwood the rough draft I am writing in my book. Having the chance to publish something is also another hurdle because the publishing industry is very competitive at the moment. I have written approximately 26 000 words in this book.

The future of libraries is also changing and I believe that persons with Asperger Syndrome would play a beneficial role in the digitization process. What is needed is for necessary training and funding to assist libraries in making the transformation from text to a digital format. I would be interested in finding out the procedure involved for digitilising library information and it would be good if the Specialisterne concept of employing adults with Asperger Syndrome in computer software testing could be applied to an experimentation in library digitalisation software.

Working in a library allows me to see and understand the future of how I think a library is going to move forward in the future. Current students seem to spend a great deal of their time and study on a computer screen and for this information needs to be efficient and accessible. A future library would be an area of greater spare with books being replaced by a means of them being on line. The Librarian would need to become more Information Technology Trained and ensure that their subject areas have up to date information within a digital format. I see the library industry going through a dramatic change over the next 10 years. Perhaps the library will just have staff who have library experience without the need for Librarians, Library Assistants and other positions? It is something which needs to be thought about more. There are many benefits to digitalising books and one can only imagine what the future library will look like. Working in a university library perhaps the Stanford University Library is the way of the future? Please visit this link for more information http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=jMus6tZifGY&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment