Thursday, October 7, 2010

Seeing Asperger Syndrome not as a disability but more needing to be done for people to understand better.

Australia has a long way to go and more so the rest of the world in beginning to see Asperger Syndrome as a positive. I believe personally that a lot of adults in Australia just feel society seems unable to change and really understand our needs and this is a very sad and unfortunate if true. I find in my own life that undertaking any challenges in a conventional and Neuro Typical way is either extremely difficult or virtually impossible. For instance will the book I am writing ever get published or will my words and thoughts just be wasted memories for another future difficult scenario? The important thing is therefore to try and stay positive.

I personally believe Asperger Syndrome should not be seen as a negative or debilitating disorder. When I have informed people largely unaware of the condition, people tend to say "Oh that must be hard" or "I am sorry to hear that you are affected by such an affliction". As you can imagine such comments do not really help much to raise your self esteem or make you feel or be seen within a positive and optimistic scenario. It often surprises me when I see people I know and I inform them that I am writing a book or have just presented a conference to ask, oh what did you talk about there? I feel at a loss to think and fathom why they are largely unaware of the work which I do on an unpaid basis. People just do not seem to get it but remaining positive is the only way. I may not be the best advocate in terms of being totally positive and one adult criticised me once for not being suitable in an advocacy role as in his words "we don't need someone who is depressed causing us to feel depressed". My attitude and response to this comment is that if I do not make people aware of the facts and situations, then is it making it harder on future generations to avoid the scenarios I or other persons on the spectrum may encounter? The Autism Community also experienced a time of sadness when an adult with Asperger Syndrome "Genevieve Edmonds" took her own life due to severe anxiety levels and I understand other significant factors in having Asperger Syndrome and people not understanding.

The Autistic Community mourns the death of Genevieve Edmonds (Quoted from Wrong planet)

Washington, DC - 2/18/08 – The autistic community mourned the loss of Genevieve Edmonds, a UK-based advocate and author on the autism spectrum who committed suicide this past week. Genevieve was a leader in advocating for increased visibility and support for adults on the autism spectrum. She authored four books: The Asperger Social Guide: How to Relate to Anyone in any Social Situation as an Adult with Asperger’s Syndrome, The Asperger Personal Guide: Raising Self-Esteem and Making the Most of Yourself as a Adult with Asperger’s Syndrome, Asperger Syndrome And Employment: Adults Speak Out About Asperger Syndrome and A Self-Determined Future with Asperger Syndrome. Her work with the ASPECT group at Sheffield Hallam University resulted in numerous strides forward in autistic representation and a comprehensive study on the needs of adults with Asperger’s Syndrome in the United Kingdom.Genevieve will be remembered for her contributions to our community and commitment to improving the lives of individuals on the autism spectrum. Her death is a tragedy and we mourn the loss of one of our own. Those wishing to express their condolensces to the Edmonds family can direct their thoughts to http://www.blackpooltiggers.co.uk/contact.pl

Ari Ne’eman
The Autistic Self Advocacy Network
http://www.autisticadvocacy.org

info@autisticadvocacy.org

The world cannot be one way and people without Asperger Syndrome should not be forced to become Aspie and Aspie people also need to realise that the world cannot be all their way either. Some adults need to realise that having Asperger Syndrome is not a means to continue with forms of behaviour that should be unacceptable and using the excuse that having a diagnosis explains and should therefore make my behaviour acceptable. It does not work that way. Some adults need to realise that although they may have difficulty in employment that they at least have to make an attempt to try and fit into the Neuro Typical World. I feel often that adults with Asperger Syndrome and I am to blame myself do not realise the hardwork and dedication that some people undertake to try and understand and help them. Lacking empathy in adults and children with Asperger Syndrome maybe common, but often they can be a difficult group to please. Furthermore they can sometimes have a 'set' on a person just because they say and have said something that they may not agree with but trying to get through to them to have a differing view can also be difficult. Sometimes you hear complaints or criticisms or an organisation is not doing enough to help people on the Autism Spectrum but what needs to be remembered is that persons with Asperger Syndrome should also realise that they have to try at times to also understand that putting themselves out or assisting an organisation which may be or who are trying to help them should also be undertaken. Although people may not always agree with what I say and do it is not all about me, it is about helping to raise awareness and doing your best to accommodate the issues which need to be addressed. I know adult unemployment is high but the adults need to realise that in order to get ahead in the world that they may need to make an attempt although it may be difficult in trying to understand that there are some people trying to help them. If Asperger Syndrome is to be seen as a positive then adults need to try and work together and assist those who are trying to help them rather than suggesting or having an issue with the way the person may be undertaking awareness. We all have different wiring as Aspies but instead of not working together we all need to work together to help provide a positive image and also to attend functions that are put on by an organisation wherever possible to support that organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment