Often as a person with Asperger Syndrome I experience a looping thought process. This is when thoughts in my mind go over and over again on the one topic. Within conversation this can be especially difficult and furthermore can give rise to repeating yourself over and over within conversation. Often stopping the looping process can be difficult and strategies are often hard to implement at the time. The person is also largely unaware that they doing it and can annoy a person. When I was younger and sometimes to some extent today, I have often been criticized for sound like a cracked record in that I repeat myself and say the same thing again and again. A lot of people with Asperger Syndrome seem to experience the same difficulty at times. An area of discussion of some Aspies is whether or not they are left or right brained. Quite simply perhaps an Aspie brain is not balanced between both hemispheres of the brain. I often find myself having to struggle or being clumsy in one area of my brain. For instance I often wonder when being on a treadmill why I find tend to veer leftwards while walking on the treadmill may be due to the right hemisphere not working properly as one small example.
Medication from personal experience can be an option when anxiety levels are higher than normal or when there is difficulty with sleep patterns. I find sometimes being able to sleep can be difficult in itself and I find either Tamzepan or Valium helpful only in periods when I am simply unable to sleep. An event or a thought can often interfere with sleep or simply over stimulation either to sound or noise. It is important to remember that when taking medication that it is followed according to the Doctor or Psychiatrist's directions. Taking a certain medication for too long in itself can be an unpleasant experience. I have found Xanax an unfriendly medication as if taken for too long a period or just taking it, I find a sense of feeling like I am from another planet. It can also increase from personal experience panic attacks and raise anxiety levels. When working if medication is taken, discussion with your medical practitioner needs to be clear and you have to seriously consider medication usage also as to how it will impact you at work the next day. I have known of some adults who self medicate but more seriously and of concern is the use of illegal substances. Some adults may use marijuana as a means of controlling anxiety and also alcohol. The use of alcohol is not a wise means of controlling anxiety for long periods is not wise for any substance is chemical changing in the brain and can have negative or serious side effects or scenarios. Asperger Syndrome in itself cannot be medicated but the secondary symptoms see often the need for some form of assistance in dealing with the more serious symptoms. Once again consultation is needed with a medical practitioner to know what is the best approach in a given situation.
I personally find that having a regular exercise pattern is essential to seriously reduce anxiety levels and day to day function and sleep. Cardio Vascular exercises are important also for improving function and general well being.
No comments:
Post a Comment