I wonder if both Aspies and NT's (Neuro Typicals) communicate differently? I find that NT's tend to be more confusing to understand and their means of communication and signals are often always difficult to assimilate and interpret. When I am talking to someone, it can be often very difficult looking at the person in the face for you tend to look at their mouth more so than their eyes. For adults with Asperger Syndrome, looking at someone in the face is often not easy and overwhelming. I think we tend to rely more on our hearing and intelligence in order to communicate and perhaps miss out on the necessary visual queues that help carry a conversation.
The way I see it is that Aspies are only picking up about 20% of communication visual information but perhaps higher functioning Aspies in short periods of immense concentration can perhaps pick up 85% but they become mentally exhausted afterwards. Research is needed as to why Aspies are space dwellers and why we like to have our own space away from people. Perhaps our eyes, ears and noses become over sensitized and our minds over stimulated from too much interaction that our brains need to wind down?
I often watch some clips from "Temple Grandin" on how she adapted and coped with the sensory issues and I would recommend that anyone see her film. Are we as Aspies exposed to a different way of learning and receiving information? I think Temple Grandin is someone that has helped tremendously in making life much easier for those of us who are adults today.
Dr Temple Grandin on Asperger Syndrome in employment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6jkDiJFAQ
No comments:
Post a Comment