Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Asperger Syndrome a stand alone disabilty

In my presentations when I outline the difficulties a person with Asperger Syndrome confronts within a work environment, I use the following example to best describe my own situation. As I work in a Library, one of the most important duties is dealing with the patron at the Loans Desk. Within this role, it can be very difficult to relate to people and keep your stress and anxiety levels down. Also you may need to think quickly and deal with many different personalities. For a person with Asperger Syndrome, our disability is a stand alone one. Compared to someone who is in a wheel chair or has a mobility impairment, our minds are susceptible to mental exhaustion and we struggle in a cognitive sense to perform compared to a person in a wheel chair where modifications can be made to the work environment. Also the person in the wheel chair is likely to have their situation made obvious compared to an Aspie who can look just like everyone else.

Asperger Syndrome is a 'stand alone' disability because nobody sees it. Despite constantly having to navigate the Neuro Typical World, we often have issues that a sensory, or visual. Some adults more so women on the spectrum can become so confused in localities like shopping centres that they can become stressed and break into tears with frustration. Often people do not know how to respond perhaps thinking that the situation may be a relationship break up, death more so than actually understanding what is the underlying difficulty or problem. The other important thing to mention is that a great deal many adults, spend a lot of their time in isolation and some more so than others can feel very lonely and not have any support. Society does not always see these realities because people with Asperger Syndrome have the stand alone disability of not being seen or heard. I think and speak from personal experience that giving an Aspie a chance in a job is something that really needs to be considered and the Aspie may need time to demonstrate their skills and or abilities more so than not given a chance at all. This is why I welcome Specialisterne as an employer and I think every country needs to take on board its incentives.

No comments:

Post a Comment