Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Sunday experience

I always find that Sunday is the worst of all days to re-ignite my energy for the upcoming week. As I only work 5 days a week and I don't work on weekends, I find that Sunday is the day that people don't seem to want to do anything. It is like people go into hibernation and have some form of "Sundayitis" or perhaps leading to "Mondayitis". The start of every week is a week of your life gone by and another starting. I guess it is an Aspie thing but Sunday seems old fashioned to me. It is the day of the sabbath when people used to go to church and I guess which is why people don't traditionally work or one to do anything on this day. I remember when I lived in Armidale that weekends were numbing and social isolation was at its worst. People usually had their own clicks of people to be or hang around and people my age used to play sport and if you were badly coordinated it was too bad so sad. I spent 4 years living in Armidale and the rest of my life in Brisbane except when I have been overseas. Brisbane seems to have a rural like backward mentality which is slowly and progressively moving forwards. Gone are the days thankfully when weekends were a no go zone but you find in Brisbane that people like to socialise during weekdays and do nothing or very little on weekends. I guess they spend the time with friends and family and if you are not within this situation, then you are on the outer. Brisbane is booming ahead at a slow pace but being in the city on Friday and looking over at the construction going on, some new buildings have emerged. I do not like or warm to Brisbane being out of sync with the other southern east coast cities when they adopt Daylight Saving in the first weekend of October and this ending in the first weekend in April. The debate always arises of whether Brisbane should fall into line with the southern capitals and I believe it should. It seriously misses out on essential business and is behind the southern cities due to an hour's difference. I am not a real fan of daylight saving but I am not a fan of seeing a time zone difference during summer. I think Brisbane needs to review summer time and seriously consider ways of falling into line with its southern counterparts. Sunday seems to be a no go zone for many people and I think this originates perhaps from the old village mentality of it being a day of solitude than the traditional day of worship. Perhaps for many people it is a reprieve before the start of a new week, and what this week will herald. I find Sunday goes very slowly and there is very little on in Brisbane unless you have a special interest. This time of year is good before the humidity sets in and that is no fun for a person with sensory issues. I guess nothing is perfect but it is good to see Brisbane slowly moving forward and eliminating all trace of its past. I guess everyone has a different way of feeling on Sunday. Perhaps my experience is unique to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment