The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Thursday, September 23, 2010
Schooling
My schooling began in 1977 in Albany Creek to where I attended Pre School. I can remember my first day at Pre School where all the children were issued with a Napkin and a cup for drinking water and a hook to hang our pre school apparel on. I could never really understand the process as the hooks from memory were not always reachable and I could not understand why hooks appeared on a wall but I tried my best to understand the process. I can remember also doing basic things that toddlers my age were doing but more importantly I seemed to fear or not get on with the other children. This was my first experience within the socialization process. All these other children around who looked like me but yet I knew I didn't think like they did. I can remember never getting into trouble but I do remember some of the activities I was encouraged to participate in but never really understanding or doing well in these activities. In 1978 I began the transition from Pre School to Primary School. Back then the school buildings had this kind of space ship appearance. They had yellow doors, blue strange looking down (water) pipes and I remember the period quite well. Back then the school system did not understand Autism as children who were different were confined to tasks away from other children. Instead of learning, I was filling in colouring in books and sticking odd shaped stickers into drawings. For example there was a seal and dolphin and I was doing this rather than blending in with the other children. In late 1978, my family moved from Albany Creek to Kenmore. I started Primary School which was for a period of 7 years. Primary School wasn't as bad as High School but it wads an interesting period. I can remember in 1982 seeing the Endeavour Replica of Captain Cook's ship at Caloundra. I can remember the Bjelke Peterson government being in full swing and how I believe it negatively impacted on children. There was I believe a forced indoctrination of socialisation which adopted the stupid TE Score System later. This system stereo typing students into some category system of measuring a score to determine success and outcome. I detested High School and loathed every day of it. I was never understood and I was bullied and teased a lot. The game of enjoyment was having a boy who who was different punching me while the other boys in a gang watched on from a distant egging him on. Not only did I have to suffer this but ignorant teachers who constantly took the time to try and show me up or make me look stupid. The authority figures were just as bad in their pursuit of trying to ensure that the system made it possible to put down difference or my eccentricity. I was told I would never go to University and I had no brains and ability. I didn't agree with these assessments or findings but at the time just survived as best I could. Bullying and teasing is really psychologically degrading for Aspies as we are not able to defend ourselves. I was constantly having to defend myself within the school system as nobody stood up or had the guts to stand up for me. It was me against the school and me needing to rely on my intelligence to try and solve difficult situations. I never had friends in High School and retreated to the library at lunch time reading encyclopedias and gathering facts about people and events. I knew also that the bullies could not get me in the library, so I knew it was a safe zone. I could never understand why I was constantly bullied and teased just for being different. Why were some teachers so ignorant and cruel in their assessments? Why I was forced to admit to the class that I cheated when I had help from my parents in an Art assignment and why did I receive 2 0ut 0f 20% for a Geography Assignment? I hated the place and just wanted to get out!!!! With the Art Assignment I was made to get up in front of the class, admit I cheated and admonished as to why the class should be affected by my grade? I thought what a bunch of vindictive people and I felt and thought to myself what a war zone! It was the Deputy Principal that asked me to come out in front of the class and reveal I cheated and you can imagine what my self esteem was like?
I am very concerned about schooling for children and adolescents on the Autistic Spectrum. I think a school environment needs modification but I do not believe that children should be alienated or people telling their parents they have behavioural problems and should be medicated. Why medicate eccentricity and creativity? The school years are not always pleasant and a lot of adults on the Autistic Spectrum seem to have been bullied in their earlier years which can seriously I believe cause scaring later in life. I have heard about Education Queensland which has hopefully let go of a lot of the Bjelke Peterson destruction but I have heard it is still bad. Will change ever occur and will Autism awareness be implemented and important modifications made to accept its existence within education? It took me 2 years since 1990 to shed and shirk all the pain and bullying I experienced in High School which I believe wrecks a lot of adolescents, especially those with Autism. I can write more details about my school years but this is just a reflection. I am happy to advise education systems of having important modifications can be made within the school system if required. For now change needs to begin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment