Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Asperger Syndrome into the future

As an adult with Asperger Syndrome I am very concerned with proposed changes to the DSM 5 classification. I believe that re classifying Autism is going to seriously undermine and destroy the work of many notable people and those diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. A lot of people, I know of including Tony Attwood and key members in Asperger Services Australia are deeply concerned about the proposed changes taking place. I believe that making changes to a diagnostic assessment is really an ignorant exercise because many adults rely on the AS diagnosis to explain difficulties and the need for essential services. I think it is important that the work of Tony Attwood continues but future psychologists and other medical professionals need to be sufficiently trained in diagnosing persons correctly with Asperger Syndrome. If we are to promote and raise awareness, then we need to ensure that a high standard of awareness and diagnosis occurs at a professional level. I was diagnosed by Tony and I am grateful that I was fortunate to have met with him to understand just exactly why I was different, not able to obtain employment and find it impossible to be understood and make friends. Asperger Syndrome should remain as a diagnosis in my opinion and the American Medical Authority which wants to change it should be dissuaded from doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment