The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Friday, April 2, 2010
What is the significance of Easter and Christmas?
I woke up this morning and having today and 4 days off work is a real blessing, figuratively speaking. What though is the significance of Easter and what is its true origins? When I was younger, religious education was taught by Religious and Instruction Teachers within the School System. These select group of teachers tend to more brain wash than educate and enlighten you about the bible and its teachings and opinions and views were more generic and not to be questioned. For instance, one view was that if you were a good person and never sinned then you would go to heaven and be in the kingdom of God. I think both Christmas and Easter have become more commercialised over the years to include Santa Claus featuring more in Christmas Celebrations and Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny in Easter events. What I think needs consideration is that these icons seem to be more Pagan in origin than more so representing their religious origin or linking them to this. For instance, I understand Santa Claus or Father Christmas derived from St Nicholas who provided presents to the poor and the Easter Bunny and the Easter Egg had their origins from the Pagan season of fertility. At the time of Easter which I think comes from the term Estrogen which has it's origins to fertility. This period of renewed life coincided with the first full moon after the Summer Equinox. It is interesting how both these celebrations have over the years become more commercialised and it seems people do not really want to question their origins.
The Christian interpretation represents as everyone knows, Christmas is being the birth of Christ and Easter being the Crucifixion of Christ and he supposed res erection from the tomb 2 days after his death. I think over time that these events have manifested themselves into a combined celebration and origin and authentic evidence to reveal the truths and accuracy of these dates is questionable. Often it is difficult to question religion as you are seen as a heretic and in the time of Queen Mary, you were considered a heretic and eliminated for dare questioning beliefs at the time. I do believe that Christ did exist but I think his image and appearance over time has become exaggerated somewhat. The pictures you see merely show a religious figure but in time of Christ, I think he had a different and more ruggered appearance. A Christian Friend once posed a question which I thought was interesting. What did the real Jesus Christ look like? I think the true Christ like image was as I say more ruggered than the Renaissance one that we see today in Churches.
I think for a majority of people both Easter and Christmas are just days of refreshment more so than labour and I think convincing people of their true origins is sometimes difficult. I think people have become cynical of the bible for when you look at some parts of the bible, especially in relation to Adam and Eve, some questions are raised. As humanity evolves, I think more and more answers are linking us closer to God and our understanding of the universe. Events like Easter and Christmas are just celebrating days off and drawing religious significance is often a difficult task if you want to believe and not question. I guess everyone has their own interpretation and way of celebrating both Easter and Christmas?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment