The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Taking on challenges
Over the last week I have been proud of my achievements. As I am currently undertaking house sitting, I have been able to do this, attend a Disability Sub Committee Meeting, undertake some more research on my post graduate study and update my career information. I am tending to think that my abilities are perhaps due to areas of my brain that may work harder than other areas. I find that reading more has opened up more neuro pathways in my mind and I am feeling better about myself than I did before. So is Asperger Syndrome a disability or is it just another way of thinking or behaving? We know very little about the brain and perhaps people with Asperger Syndrome in the past centuries existed in monasteries, studied theology and were involved in solitary pursuits. If Michelangelo was not born nor Mozart, what we have missed out on in the world with eccentric and people that had unique talents?
I believe that while you are fit and able we all need to look beyond our boundaries and not feel trapped by our own securities or fears. So many people have a great deal more to offer than what they currently do but not everyone is fortunate to experience the same opportunities. People with Asperger Syndrome have a great deal more to offer the world and taking on challenges and venturing out of comfort zones is something that should occur more. We never know the answers in our lives or whether or not we journey down the right path but giving things your best is one way to think positively and look to the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment