Thursday, April 8, 2010

Does Asperger Syndrome define you as an adult?

As an adult, I have often been told that Asperger Syndrome is not you and it is part of you. In relation to this very topic, I believe that once you are diagnosed you are always aware of the label and you need to create some kind of veneer with difficultly to screen out the AS or adapt it so that it doesn't encroach on who you are as a person. I often find as an adult that I need to focus on my strengths in order to be who I am and not a person defined by Asperger Syndrome. The Asperger Syndrome affects the way you think and feel and often you have to make the most of dealing with it to the best of your ability. Having to deal with anxiety, and over analyzing thoughts can be something of a challenge and often you are forced into a way of living which separates you from others around you. I think you can only try your best to overcome the annoying symptoms and focus on the good ones. I try and live life to the best of my ability and I try to overcome what I consider to be challenges and take a mental note of trying to find out areas that cause annoyance to others and to rectify them where possible. Some people have said to me when I have told them I have AS "Oh that's shocking you must be really hate having it and it is sad you are afflicted by it". I think often people don't really understand that it is not a disease but more so an impairment in some ways. Seeing Asperger Syndrome as a disability only makes you want to focus on its negative traits and allow it to inhibit you in some aspects of your life. I know a lot of adults with Asperger Syndrome and often some of them can deal with the symptoms in a positive way but as you get older it gets harder. I believe that Asperger Syndrome is more or less a difficult to adjust and adapt to the socialization process and the being diagnosed does help. Often when you are slightly eccentric or peculiar, you are not able to control how much or how little it affects you. Sometimes you can exist within a sheltered workshop which means you are controlled more by the Asperger Syndrome rather than seeing it as part of you. I find it hard in some ways to be sociable and to furthermore connect with the community. I find comfort in reading and knowing there are other adults out there just like me who go through similar struggles and difficulties. I can see where they struggle and sadly what they are doing wrong in some situations but I can only help but be a friend where I can. I think a person needs to be careful to not becoming totally consumed with Asperger Syndrome but being aware you have Asperger Syndrome is good in that it precludes you from making certain mistakes. Before I was diagnosed I was different and I knew there was something wrong with me but I didn't really know what. I know I am not perfect but I try to live life my best and there are a lot of areas I struggle with and I just have to try and work on these areas the best I can. I would be interested in knowing the life expectancy on average of adults with Asperger Syndrome as sadly I think some die younger lonely or perhaps never really being understood. People can be cruel but as Aspies we understand your conventions but we cannot help our different wiring. I may not speak for all adults with Asperger Syndrome but what I can tell you is that navigating the NT world is not an easy task. It can be like walking on a busy road trying to read signs to cross over it and sometimes being attacked or misunderstood from all sides. I don't believe an NT vs Aspie world should exist but I do believe that more awareness of Asperger Syndrome needs to exist so that adults with Asperger Syndrome can fit into it also. As I get older I don't really know who I am but I do know of my merits which are that I like to work hard and make the most of life! That's all you can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment