Sunday, April 4, 2010

Adults with Asperger Syndrome

Over the past 18 months, more and more adults with Asperger Syndrome have been able to connect either through Facebook, You Tube or via Skype. The good thing is that with adults connecting the difficulties of social isolation, depression and feeling alone and confused is becoming less common. I have met Aspies from quite an array of different countries and we all share the same struggles and difficulties and it is good to know that we no longer feel alone. I often have Skype conversations with other adults and some other adults who are not on Skype, I try to keep in touch with via Facebook and other means. You may ask the question of what is the purpose of contacting other adults? I enjoy meeting other adults because we as Aspies are unique people. Despite our struggles, difficulties and challenges, it is refreshing to know of some of the interests of other adults and to share in the experience of being either odd or eccentric. With more connections then the difficulties of depression, anxiety and social isolation will hopefully be overcome. In the world today, loneliness is a big problem and ever more so for adult with Asperger Syndrome as we find it difficult to establish a network of friends and find support easily. Often shy people have a network of friends and such friends can link them up to prospective partners in most instances but for an adult with Asperger Syndrome this is not always the case. We often don't have this social network and furthermore people don't always understand our different means of wiring when we want support as they may think we are being aloof or not interested. It is just that we respond to interaction differently compared to most people. This is my experience any way. I find I need time alone as do other Aspies as we require a great deal of cognitive energy and mental energy in order to understand and relate to the outside world. Computer interaction is one vital tool to allow adults with Asperger Syndrome to connect with other adults with Asperger Syndrome. There is less confusion with interpreting body language and having to deal with sensory and mental energy levels. More and more adults are out there and some choose denial which is their personal choice and others are coming to terms with accepting their diagnosis. Some adults find it difficult to overcome the problems of exactly how Asperger Syndrome effects them and they either need the help of others or to try and find counseling to overcome this. Fortunately where I live more support is slowly becoming more available and awareness is going a long way to help other people to understand Asperger Syndrome more. I get tired of people who reject me on the grounds that I am unable to conform to a NT (Neurotypical) way of thinking as it is quite simply not that I am not interested just that I would be not the person I would be and furthermore I would be taxing myself mental energy wise to do so. It is good to hear more adults come forward to accept their diagnosis and to focus on the good, strong and positive points. This needs to continue to ensure that we get our voice out there and support also. More awareness will ensure that the walls of ignorance are slowly penetrates to pave way for tolerance and understanding. Dr Temple Grandin speaks about Autism and Asperger Syndrome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiAMAxNXUh0

No comments:

Post a Comment