Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Brisbane Aspie Adult Innovator Group meets Maja Toudal



Yesterday the group hosted Maja Toudal to its Brisbane meeting.  It was good to meet Maja and her partner Michael both visiting Australia from Denmark.  Maja spoke to the group about her own experiences of being on the Autism Spectrum and we then visited the Shingle Inn for lunch afterward.  We tried our best to show Maja some historical part of Brisbane at least. 


I really hope that Maja's visit will mean that a positive way forth will happen in Australia.  We really need to be raising more awareness of the Autism Spectrum in adults and furthermore start to see ways of providing a positive future for adults.  I spoke briefly to Maja's partner Michael about some things happening in Denmark and I hope to visit Denmark in the not too distant future.  For example there is Specialisterne which now employs adults on the Autism Spectrum and someone visiting us from Europe.  It would be good to see more adults visit Australia from abroad. I am always ambitious and optimistic with future visions.  I would one day like to see more opportunities of adults on an exchange scenario where they may be able to visit another country like Denmark and receive some training and another culture which may assist in overcoming some of the difficulties with social isolation and exclusion?

Photo: Meeting Maja Toudal in Brisbane in group today :)
Meeting Maja Toudal

The group is looking to be incorporated under Asperger Services Australia.  This will be a slow process and one that all adults I hope will be able to provide some thoughts, ideas and feedback. 


I also would like to talk about the concerns of reaching middle age as an adult on the Autism Spectrum.  Life does become harder and existing support seems to not represent.  For instance private health insurance seems to cover more sport injuries more so than access to counselling and support for mental health and others challenges.  Also there is very little support to assist with social isolation and linking to other sectors of the community just seems to be more overwhelming.  Finally if I am required to pay tax this year where is the support for disability services?  I think it would be good if the adult group could be a pilot in providing an adult task force to meet with government and other sectors of the community.  



No comments:

Post a Comment