Advocating for Autism 24/7 can sometimes feel like a thankless task. Not to mention the social isolation which I endure. For some reason people can drop away from any contact with you and you can never really understand why? Is it the way that I think? Is it that I offend people without knowing it? Or do I appear as somehow standoffish and aloof? No matter how hard it gets, all that you can really do is to battle on as best you can.
I am not sure if many of you are aware but I have taken an interest in German innovation and production. I have noticed that in Germany there seems to be a large focus on attention to detail and good work ethics. As this video indicates. What I like about German workplace culture is that most and if not all the people seem to think the same way that I do. I for instance like to ensure that when I am working that a task needs to be done properly and completed fully. I tend to find in other western countries that more emphasis seems to be on a person's social skills more so than on performance.
In any task which I carry out, I find that my total concentration is required on the task at hand. I sometimes feel though that I am let down by certain infrastructure or equipment that simply is not up to standard. For instance I was thinking the other day that the simple inclination of a stairwell can affect mobility and access. Furthermore what is the best and most appropriate length for wheelchair access within a building?
On the weekends here in Brisbane, very few places are open for business. If you want something actioned urgently you need to wait until business hours for it to be repaired or looked into as Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm are the usual times. Also can people with attention to detail and focus be able to improve on quality? This can simply be with a money transfer or even a product that is vigorously road tested to ensure that it works properly and is up to standard.
Yesterday I was called upon to use my skills with a mindset for errors to improve on an environment that needs better turn over. I spent almost 2 hours indicating on ways I could see fault and improvement and it was good to receive acknowledgement in return. I did notice however that equipment which indicated weight was still in imperial weight measurements when it should be imperial, as Australia converted to the Metric System in the early 1970's.
It can often be very challenging to change mindsets which somehow see having attributes as some kind of flaw or provoking fear. What is wrong with spend vast amounts of time in carrying out duties and furthermore trying your hardest to block out sensory issues? Hand driers for instance can be excessively noisy and why is this so? Also leaf blowers and other equipment can give off irritating sounds which can be toxic in nature by way of noise pollution. Also what is required to change attitudes in terms of quality output? Can't simply a work environment exist where a strong attention to detail can co-exist with a social one?
I am not sure if many of you are aware but I have taken an interest in German innovation and production. I have noticed that in Germany there seems to be a large focus on attention to detail and good work ethics. As this video indicates. What I like about German workplace culture is that most and if not all the people seem to think the same way that I do. I for instance like to ensure that when I am working that a task needs to be done properly and completed fully. I tend to find in other western countries that more emphasis seems to be on a person's social skills more so than on performance.
In any task which I carry out, I find that my total concentration is required on the task at hand. I sometimes feel though that I am let down by certain infrastructure or equipment that simply is not up to standard. For instance I was thinking the other day that the simple inclination of a stairwell can affect mobility and access. Furthermore what is the best and most appropriate length for wheelchair access within a building?
On the weekends here in Brisbane, very few places are open for business. If you want something actioned urgently you need to wait until business hours for it to be repaired or looked into as Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm are the usual times. Also can people with attention to detail and focus be able to improve on quality? This can simply be with a money transfer or even a product that is vigorously road tested to ensure that it works properly and is up to standard.
Yesterday I was called upon to use my skills with a mindset for errors to improve on an environment that needs better turn over. I spent almost 2 hours indicating on ways I could see fault and improvement and it was good to receive acknowledgement in return. I did notice however that equipment which indicated weight was still in imperial weight measurements when it should be imperial, as Australia converted to the Metric System in the early 1970's.
It can often be very challenging to change mindsets which somehow see having attributes as some kind of flaw or provoking fear. What is wrong with spend vast amounts of time in carrying out duties and furthermore trying your hardest to block out sensory issues? Hand driers for instance can be excessively noisy and why is this so? Also leaf blowers and other equipment can give off irritating sounds which can be toxic in nature by way of noise pollution. Also what is required to change attitudes in terms of quality output? Can't simply a work environment exist where a strong attention to detail can co-exist with a social one?
Hallo Garry,I absolutely agree with you about Aussie workplaces seeming to cater for social skills at the expense of attention to detail...this has been my experience also and seems like a difficult thing to overcome!Also I agree with you about the noise pollution of both hand dryers and leaf blowers...these two things are extremely unpleasant and there are many instances when a rake does the job just as quickly as a leaf blower (though not always).Try not to take it personally if people 'unfollow you'...this can be for so many reasons including that they are doing a cleanout and wanting to simplify their online presence.....it is very easy to feel bombarded by information these days.I'm sure it is something all people in public life experience. best wishes.....
ReplyDeleteThere are some good thoughts in this blog post Garry. You have listed what needs to change, maybe its time to see if there is anything we can do to implement these new strategies?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments and feedback
ReplyDelete