Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Getting the message out!

Well this afternoon I felt compelled to put Chris Mitchell's book to some good use.  As it had been sitting on my table for some time, I thought that it may be useful in assisting other adults and undiagnosed adults about being on the Autism Spectrum.  I met Chris in 2000 when he came to Australia on his first overseas trip.  He came for about 3 weeks. It was a long way to come and like me Chris was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome in 1998. You may want to read more in the book also and the book is called Glass Half Empty and Half Full.  I have donated the book to Griffith University Library after contacting them today. The lady I spoke to has an undiagnosed son herself who has Asperger Syndrome. He currently cannot find work nor make friends. 

Yesterday I attend the Apple IBook session.  I find it a very interesting session but what I find difficult was that there was a lot of information to absorb.  I felt I obtained the basics but not having an Apple Computer only an IPod, IPhone and IPad unfortunately I am unable to edit the book.  Other people had a chance also to create the same book which I did, so learning something new was certainly a worthwhile experience.  Perhaps one day I can put what I have learned to use?

Today I have felt somewhat energetic. I have also been dreaming a lot, so as they say more neuro pathways have no doubt opened.  I feel as though my mind is awakening more and more but slowly overtime. I find I can handle some levels of stress better and being patient is something which I am learning.  Although I was keen for some reason to get Chris' book into the library so other people can read it.  I hope younger people and students will read the book if it is hopefully accepted by the library.  It certainly would be a valuable resource for adults as more awareness is needed for adults to allow them to be understood, function and come out more.  So many adults still seem afraid of coming out as they still are somewhat afraid as to how society will treat them.  It would be great to see things change in this regard?  I think my advocacy work is doing something right? 

On Friday I will be speaking for Autism Focus www.autismfocus.com.au  I hope I can meet some new people there whom I can hopefully help?  I met a new person today and I am receiving some emails and being asked by people who know persons with Autism about the adult social group.  I also received a very nice email from Dr Tony Attwood.  I am hoping that Tony may visit the group one day here in Brisbane?  I hope to speak with Tony sometime soon also but understand he has a busy schedule.