The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Sunday, May 6, 2012
I am not making excuses
When I try to socialise with people which I find extremely vexing I just find I am unable to connect with them as my wiring is different. I can usually start with a common and rehearsed greeting but I really don't know where to go from there. For instance if I have the confidence to attend an event I usually am aware that some form of social interaction is involved but I am unaware largely of what people may be thinking or saying when I exchange words with them if indeed they go beyond a sentence or a paragraph. In case you may not notice I am very literal in my description?
Making friends and connecting is a challenge and I have sometimes being accused of wanting someone to hold my hand which I have worked out is not something to take literally unless I have a girlfriend or wife. Attending something is daunting but for an Aspie even more so as communication is not something that comes naturally. What the non Autistic population takes for granted is something that we have to struggle darn hard with! It affects us with trying to form a social circle that may increase our chances of getting a job and all the things that go with it. Aspies have a big deficit therefore with being able to interact with the world socially and more importantly understand those with different wiring compared to our own.
Within our own lives personal boundaries and for Asperger women apprising dangers may not always be apparent. Within Brisbane I just find people hostile and events on the weekend are virtually non existent unless you like sport or enjoy going to th pub. There are no support groups for adults either as there seems to be nothing central. I have tried numerous times to form an adult group but to no avail. I ask the question why? Is it the people in Brisbane? Is there no support, services or infrastructure? The list goes on. Weekends are the worst in terms of social isolation and a lack of cultural activities.
I often feel that people think I make excuses or feel sorry for myself but this is not the way I see it. I just do not know or understand your language and why you may be offended or hostile or even critical with the way I respond or interpret your so called everyday language. Again my internal wiring is different to your own and you need to try and make adjustments more so than try and conform or even blame. I do not need to be bullied either because you may react through shear ignorance to the way I am. I am proud to be Aspie and if others don't like this they have to try hard to understand better because what you are wanting is like asking the blind to not use Braille, the death to not use sign language and the mute not to write. Yes I am saying that we have a deficit in social skills and you have to try and help those of us who may not understand your language. We may be recluse but that does not mean we are lepers so I am not making excuses and I hope you can better understand?