Friday, May 18, 2012

Autism Focus Presentation

This morning I got up at 4.30am. As I needed to get to work and avoid the traffic gridlock, I had some breakfast and left for work at 5.45am. I am currently house sitting through an agency called Simply Sitting. Here I am looking after an old cat. Hopefully the cat and house sit wont be long the way where the cat which was sadly sick died and all the neighbours and the elderly lady blamed me for the cat's death? Well to cut a long post short which I am doing on my IPad, I thought I would talk about today's speech which I made at . Here I spoke about my own experiences of surviving at school. I was going to attend in my uniform to show members of the audience that I had a job but was advised not to. I joked with a member of staff which the staff member thought was funny that I had my "Clark Kent suit minus the hat". Anyhow I got to the conference and spoke about my school experiences which were not pleasant ones and I managed to sell a couple of books as well. I was asked if I had friends at school which my reply was no. I think back to high school where I had the potential for some friends but the school system knew nothing at the time and did not really know how to intervene. I also mentioned the work of Damian Santomauro who is Aspie and currently studying the second year of his PhD. The link to Damian's website can be found via my own website on the home page I also spoke about the need for a PhD into understanding the schooling process for conditioning children into adults and why Aspies tend to struggle and have difficulty fitting in. I also mentioned that I currently work and would like to see a great deal more being done so society can better understand Autism. As my speech and presentation when longer than 20mins, there is a possibility of another presentation to allow me time to take questions and answers. I spoke about how both Australia and New Zealand seem to also use the more medical medications approach in dealing with Autism more so than one based on therapy. On the whole it was good to speak at the conference and I hope to speak at more soon.