Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's election time and awareness time

This morning I worked on policy concerning persons on the Autism Spectrum.  I have submitted this information which at this stage is receiving a good response.  Some of the suggestions include greater support for children and adults in terms of support both in school and in employment.  More importantly I have also indicated that greater support is required to assist adults on the Autism Spectrum with finding employment, on the job support, independent living and starting up software testing like Autism Works in the UK.

I think people on the Autism Spectrum are wanting someone to stand up now with the upcoming Queensland election to support and get something done about the various issues and needs of persons with Autism.  Whoever listens no matter what political party they may be aligned with, I am happy to provide them with as much information as possible within the area of Autism.  This morning for instance I have worked on what needs to be done to assist persons in the Autism Community and also the areas of mental health.

I am trying to also contact the interested parents who want to form a school on the Sunshine Coast specifically for persons on the Autism Spectrum and I would appreciate being contacted about this if I can lend any support.  Something really needs to be done and I have heard from parents who are so desperate for someone to do something on their behalf.  I ask you to contact me through my website www.garryburge.com to assist me with this.

The election campaign will be in full swing and frankly I am wanting to see what is best for the state and I have no intentions of disclosing who I support and wish to remain apolitical on the matter.  However, as an Autism Advocate I do want to see what is right and best for those of us in the Autism Community and currently I am seeing a great deal of support from the LNP candidate in my area.  I think the candidate concerned who is providing me with information to assist me with formulating policy and representing the Autism Community.

February is the Asperger Services Australia Conference.  It is not too late for anyone to reserve their place on this conference.  For more information you will need to contact Asperger Services Australia www.asperger.asn.au  We have adult speakers from Australia and New Zealand and other parts of the world attending.

I will be working as best as I can in the meantime to ensure something is done about the Autism Spectrum and mental illness within the state of Queensland and this is all that matters to me within my role as an advocate.

Kind and warm regards

Garry Burge
Autism & Asperger Syndrome Awareness.