Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Phone call to Dr Tony Attwood

This morning at 8.55am I contacted Dr Tony Attwood.   I spoke to Tony about the following and also on my advocacy work.   I spoke to Dr Attwood for approxmately 20 mins.  I described to Tony the following.

1. Aspergers@UQ
2. Friendship/relationship difficulties for adults on the Autism Spectrum
3. Book sales
4. Changes to the library with branch rotations etc
5. The need for more services
6. House sitting
7. Autism Works/Software Testing in the Australia region
8. Next year's adult Conference hosted by Asperger Services Australia www.asperger.asn.au
9. Dealing with loniliness
10. Adult issues etc

I found my phone conversation with Tony very informative as Tony diagnosed me with Asperger Syndrome in 1998 when I was 25 years old.  In my phone call I discussed with Tony how hard it can be for Aspies to make friends.  Also how Aspies tend to withdraw into their own space when making friends can be difficult and when or how much reciprocation needs to occur. Also how we can leave communication open to others by asking them to contact us at their own conveience should they wish to do so and to control ruminating thoughts.  We put in a lot of intensity and often as Aspies we ruminate and sometimes obsess about what is a friend etc.  Tony acknowledged my history of wanting friendships and I informed him that I am getting counseling at the University of Queensland Department of Pscyhology to assist me.  I informed him how I am also trying to overcome some of the issues I confront as an adult at 39 on the Autism Spectrum.  Dr Attwood will be attending next year's conference hosted by Asperger Services Australia in Brisbane and I hope many adults attend.  We can only hope and Asperger Services Australia are yet to release more information on next year's conference happening in April 2012 in Brisbane.

Tony also asked me how my book was doing "I Want To Work An Asperger Story" with a Foreword from Tony.  He also asked me if I am going to write another book and I informed him that a lot of work is required and he understood and mentioned how after writing a book that he also needed some time out.  I may consider writing another book at some future stage but for now I just need to focus on marketing my present book which can be purchased through my website www.garryburge.com

I informed Tony about my work situation and how UQ Library have offered staff at Hew 2 Level the opportunity of shift preferences to work in other branch libraries.  I have indicated my desire where possible to work within other branches for a change.  Hopefully this will happen soon?

I informed Dr Attwood about my house sitting and furthermore some of the difficulties I confront with trying to live independently from my parents.  I informed Tony that I work hard with advocacy work which he acknowledged and he informed me that I am doing a great job in providing more services.  Tony said that I put a lot of myself out to help other people but I still am looking for a companion or good friendships also. I informed Tony that I find it difficult to meet persons of the opposite sex but I am going to find strategies to assist me with this and it is just a matter of how?  Tony was again very supportive

I informed Tony about the meeting at UQ for software testing which hopefully may reach Australia soon.  A real chance of providing employment for adults on the Autism Spectrum in getting a job more so than sitting on a government pension.  I will be having a meeting at the University of Queensland very shortly to discuss such options further.  I also informed Tony that I am in touch with both Chris Mitchell and Peter MacDonald from Autism Works www.autismworks.co.uk and Tony knows I have been friends with Chris Mitchell since my diagnosis in 1998.

Anyhow this is my update from Dr Tony Attwood.  Tony was very supportive and caring towards the work I do and has asked me to keep up the good work where possible.  I hope as many adults as possible can join with Asperger Services Australia to attend next year's conference in Brisbane in February 2012.

Kind and warm regards

Garry Burge
www.tonyattwood.com.au