Friday, October 14, 2011

Public Speaking

On Thursday 13th October 2011 I had the opportunity to speak at Rotary Club of Brisbane Planetarium.  In front of an audience of 50 people I spoke about my own experiences as an adult on the Autism Spectrum and overcoming some of the challenges in finding employment, confronting diagnosis and the need for greater awareness and understanding.  I received a standing ovation for my presentation which included a power point presentation and 15 questions to answer afterward.  On behalf of the club I received a letter opener and an assurance that my presentation helped to enlighten more people about the need for action to be taken to overcome the issues confronted for persons on the Autism Spectrum.

This week has been challenging.  It has been hard work but it is with pleasure that I am now getting help from other adults on the Autism Spectrum.  I would like to specially acknowledge Mr Brett Fallen from New Zealand who assists me with editing my blog, youtube videos as well as Mr Damian Santomauro who is helping out where he can with finding a room on the UQ Campus and assisting with the running of the group.  Also I acknowledge the work of some other adults on the Autism Spectrum who are helping assist me with keeping Aspergers@UQ going and growing strong.  We now have a membership of approximately 10 people and enquiries concerning the group keep coming.  In due course the group hopes to have a weekend event but for now we just have to keep things going smoothly.  I have also submitted another application to the UQ Disability Sub Committee to represent the committee as a staff member. Although my application may be declined I see it as my priority to get something done on campus to assist with Aspergers@UQ so that it continues to flourish, obtain a room and support on campus.

On the afternoon of Thursday 13th October 2011 I spoke with Mr Kelvin Ross from Kelvin J Ross and Associates and Professor Paul Strooper from the University of Queensland Department of Information and Technology about Australia, especially Brisbane coming on board with replicating software testing like before mentioned of Autism Works, Specialisterne and Aspiritech.  I will be meeting with both Kelvin and Paul at the University of Queensland on Friday 18th November at 3pm to discuss options with kick starting a similar venture here.  We really need to get adults on the Autism Spectrum into employment as I hear so many calls for help and pleas just for the opportunity of a job.  I am in regular contact with Peter MacDonald from Autism Works and also have Thorkil Sonne from Specialisterne on my Facebook so it is hoped soon that something similar can start here.

As it is Friday 14th October, I am going to have a bit of a break over the weekend. I have worked very hard and as I largely work on my own with the advocacy work I do, I need a bit of a rest.  In April 2012 I will be visiting New Zealand for a holiday and not for Autism Advocacy unless of course there may be an opportunity for me to speak about my own personal experiences.  I will be traveling with my parents and meeting a friend in New Zealand so this should be good.

I receive many queries and I would like to thank also Mr John Greally an adult on the Autism Spectrum for helping to moderate some Facebook groups.  John is also an adult on the Autism Spectrum.  Next year in February will be the adult conference hosted by Asperger Services Australia.  Please visit their website www.asperger.asn.au and together lets help to make a difference.  Thanks also needs to go to Mr Anthony Julian for helping to get copies of my books into libraries.  Everyone is helping me where possible and others out there too which there are too many to specifically mention.

I would encourage all or any adults on the Autism Spectrum to please assist and help me where possible in further raising awareness of the Autism Spectrum. Together we can help to educate the wider community and make the world a better place for those of us on the Autism Spectrum.

More updates soon

Kind and warmest regards

Garry Burge

Garry Burge Asperger Syndrome & Autism Advocacy
www.garryburge.com