Monday, July 4, 2011

The few Aspies in employment

I was talking recently with another Aspie about employment. This other Aspie said that holding down a job for anyone on the Autism Spectrum can in itself be a challenge. Not knowing often how to get on with other people, dealing with other work colleagues and relating to authority figures can sometimes be a challenge. In my own situation I have found full time employment just too taxing. I find that dealing with other staff members and more importantly having the mental energy to last a full day somewhat taxing. In the past these factors have caused me to have sleep issues and heightened anxiety. Even working part time can be still difficult and even though I work in a routine based job, it does provide me with some structure which I am used to.

A few months ago my work environment underwent massive restructuring. The supportive line manager I worked under was moved to another section and I was confused as to how the supervisory figures and work environment was changing. These factors alone made me so anxious because I didn't know who I was supposed to ask for advice in relating to jobs I had to carry out. I was experiencing really heightened anxiety and I sent an email to the union representative and carbon copied it to the line manager and other managers saying that I could not cope with the anxiety any longer. I was contacted shortly thereafter with concerns that I was suicidal and that my next of kin needed to be contacted in case I did anything drastic. The HR Department of the university contacted me also and I informed them that they should be made better aware of Asperger Syndrome. I am not sure if this is yet to be followed up but I felt I had to say it. A meeting was called within the university and I was informed of the reporting procedures, changes to the supervisory roles and the reassuring fact that the workplace was aware of AS. Things seem to be getting better now slowly within the workplace restructure. I find I need minimal supervision once I know the work which is expected of me. For instance my work skills usually involve the following or a combination

9.15 - 1.15pm
3, SR / Check In, 4, High Use
4, 3 / Newspapers & Journals,2, Check In

1.15pm - 5.15pm
3, SR / Check In, High Use
4, 3 / Newspapers & Journals, Check In

In the above example the 3 indicates that I am required to do shelving for approximately 1 hour on Level 3, Level 4, or Level 2 as indicated above and then Shelf Read the books on the shelf. The slash indicates a break of 15mins and then I may do the newspapers and journals which is removing the journals marked with the date of archive and removing newspapers more than 2 weeks prior. Check In involves checking the bins for books which are returned and sorted into order. This is done for an hour and it can be combined with shelf checks of books which students have not returned and fines may be issued.

As the job I do involves little interaction I find that I am able to perform but often the difficult aspect is dealing with student behaviour, especially students talking on mobile phones. Also the lift in the library is very slow but it is a change to the bombardment of sensory issues when walking up and down the library stairwell.

When I worked with previous employers other than the parliamentary library which I enjoyed, I found the hierarchy of the work environment difficult. I often locked horns with authority figures or undertook some procedure which was outside the scope of my work duties. For instance when asked to work on the front desk to avoid being around other staff in cubicles I took it upon myself to also validate client service forms and direct calls to the supervisor of the section rather than the generic system of random pick up. I knew that the supervisor would answer the phone but I later got into trouble for transferring calls directly to the supervisor rather than the generic answering system. I also got into trouble with the HR Manager for supposedly moving to another section with the permission of the manager but not her own permission. I also received comments that I was using my diagnosis as an excuse to get away with supposed heavy handedness. I now work part time and cope my best to get through the work which I have to undertake.

Some Aspies exist in work environments where they are controlled and in the worst instances may be exposed to bullying type behaviour. Some are afraid to approach supervisory figures as they may become anxious and more importantly some exist in workplaces which seriously need an awareness of the Autism Spectrum. Not all Aspies are in unpleasant work environments. For instance things are changing where I work and disclosing my diagnosis has helped to protect me against workplace bullying and discrimination or harassment in any form. Although I find promotion very difficult, I at least am grateful that I have a job!

I have often raised the issue of the selection criteria and promotion as working against Aspies. Without an understanding and awareness session provided, this very process can work against the Aspie. Whereas the Aspie needs time to demonstrate their ability the interview process tends to focus on how well the person does on the day. Even though there may be a probation period, employers need to look harder at the applicant's ability more so than how well they may do socially at an interview. Often the wrong person can be chosen because they may have all the social skills but lack the dedication and discipline to carry out their actual job. In the job I do for instance, retention of staff is often difficult. In the past people have left or been promoted because they just cannot concentrate for long periods on shelving books according to the requirements of the Library of Congress Classification System. I have been able to handle working where I am for approximately 6 years now. Also I find that I have some flexibility with leave. I know of some Aspies who simply cannot get a sufficient period of leave in order to have a holiday and some who have supervisors who argue at or bully them. Surely things need to change? What intervention and support can be made available to these Aspies? Disclosure of the Autism Spectrum remains a personal decision but if you want to have a reasonable quality of life and not have the added burden or stress of feeling sick, taking stress leave, being bullied, confronting harassment then disclosure at the interview or with the help of a a disability employment agency may be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment