Sunday, June 26, 2011

When people stare

I find when people stare at me it really makes me annoyed. This has happened on plane travel to where it seems younger children and sometimes even adults stare at me. It can also happen within the general public. I have also heard of families with children on the Autism Spectrum having people stare at them when their child has meltdown or displays some reaction to a certain situation.

Rather than people stare at someone just because they made be odd or differently why don't people try and help? Please watch the above youtube video on the National Autistic Society's Train Advertisement for more information.

I frankly get sick of people who stare as I find it rude and invasive. Quite recently when I was traveling back from the United Kingdom to Australia, I had an unfortunate experience with Emirates Airline. As I find traveling difficult when it comes to passport checks and customs control, I felt I needed help when arriving at Dubai Airport. Once the plane landed in Dubai, and having recently informed the cabin crew that I needed help which I obtain to some degree earlier in Newcastle, England, I found myself stranded and with little support. I went to the front of the plane and informed the cabin crew member on the second occasion that I needed the "Meet and Assist" and as usual was told "Sir are you needing a wheelchair?". Pushing further I showed the cabin crew member concerned my Autism Alert Card. She said that she would phone through to the airport and inform them that I needed help. She also replied "Sir you are very brave to travel on your own you don't get much help here in Dubai". As there were people waiting on the bus and I seemed the last person to get on the bus for the transfer to the airport I was that mad I would have spoken in front of all person concerned "What is it with you people, do you not know what Autism is do I need to wear bloody shackles or a horn on my head for you to see that I have difficulties?". Of course when I finally got to the airport there was no one there. I was on my own and nobody helped me. It was 12.45am and I had to ask people where there was help and to try and get through passport control. I felt literally like I was going to have a heart attack. I felt frustrated, angry and annoyed! I finally got to my hotel room where I had only 3 hours sleep assisted by taking a Valium to board a flight to Brisbane at 10.20am. I felt like if I have to go through all of this again is it really all worth it? Airlines need a greater understanding of people traveling alone especially if they need some assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment