It can be difficult when people say "you need to try harder" when meeting people or trying to go out on a date etc. This is not always the answer as I can try a lot harder and yet people still may not always understand and as a result I am left on the outer or find myself leaving a situation feeling depressed.
I believe that there needs to be more of an awareness of the Autism Spectrum. I have been asked by some people "Do you feel it necessary that you should always raise awareness?". In answer to this question yes I do otherwise attitudes will never change. The result will be greater mental health issues and social isolation and withdrawal if I do nothing about trying to rectify this problem.
In order to overcome the difficulties a greater means of raising awareness is required. This needs to be in the form of any information possibly to greatly raise awareness within the community. Telling a person with Autism that they should try harder can further worsen their self esteem and make them more self conscious of rejection and social isolation. A strategy may be for a friend or some other person to actually chat with the Autistic person to try and help or to discuss strategies. This is not always easy but it is but one solution.
A lot of people treat me like a leper I find and this is not my problem but theirs. I have done all I can and it is like hitting a glass wall. If they refuse to try and listen then the glass wall remains. Aspies need not exist in bubbles but more so as ordinary people in the community where support works both ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment