Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why NT career paths suck

The one thing that really annoys me about the NT (neuro typcial) career path is the way that it is structured. For instance I cannot stand authority figures who provide poor direction or allow for promotions of staff who can play the right hand of cards to suck up to them and get what they want.

I hate the interview process. I find it unfair in that a person is judged at face value more so than what skills they demonstrate and the time which is required for the person to do the job. The interview process is highly dependent on a person's social skills and lets face it people on the Autism Spectrum my own experience being mentioned here are not good socially so we fall down.

I hate having to 'bullshit' about my supposed strong points within an interview process or the selection criteria. Time is just wasted to me in trying to address questions and statements when I could be instead working in the job and ensuring I do a good job and be provided with proper direction. I find I don't need a lot of direction when in a job and I get tired of people who tell me what I need to do. I find I am self sufficient and don't like to be disturbed a lot. I cannot understand why in a work environment people talk when they are supposed to be in a work environment for 7hours and 15mins. If work could be performed and executed quickly then why does a person need to devote almost a whole day of their life to completing jobs which can be performed in a few hours.

I think NT people like to be lead whereas Aspies prefer to just get on and do what they need to in a job. I could be wrong but I think Aspies like a job where they feel valued and we are not really social climbers. We like to do what we need to do and don't like to be disturbed a lot. We sometimes get annoyed by certain conditions within a work environment which do not always favour us. For instance equal opportunity as Aspies are disadvantaged by having poor social queues and not always able to communicate effectively or know the social queues to advance in their career.

I have almost entirely given up on a career path as they never work out. In a job I like to know what I have to do and I have not got the energy to be embroiled in office politics. It does not help a work environment.

What exactly is a career path and does the notion sound Aspie friendly? I tend to think not as Aspies are not really social climbers and nor do we like to brag on about how good we are in job interviews either. NT's have to stop thinking we are putting ourselves down when we are in fact telling the truth. I cannot tolerate poor managers or supervisors who give poor direction. I also cannot stand lazy people who just sit around and talk or don't do their job properly. This also applies to teaching institutions to where a teacher may talk for 3/4 hour about their trip to the dentist and take 2 weeks off sick when for a wisdom tooth operation it is usually a week at the most.

Aspies have different wiring. Sadly NT's do not always understand nor how to relate to it. Just because an Aspie may think differently does not mean they are incapable of doing a job. They just need someone to understand them and work on their strong points and communicate where necessary.

Why Aspies make good employees

1. Take few sick days and are reliable
2. Like to do a job properly
3. Do work that NT's find boring
4. Conscientious and strong attention to detail.
5. Don't need or require constant supervision
6. The list goes on

No comments:

Post a Comment