Friday, November 5, 2010

Dr Kate Sofronoff and Garry Burge "Insights and Perspectives" Asperger Syndrome

The seminar today called "Insights and Perspectives" concerning adults with Asperger Syndrome was very informative and interesting. Dr Kate Sofronoff has been promoted to the position of Associate Professor and her presentation was both informative and professional in getting the message out there concerning adults. Discussed was early intervention within schools and the nurturing of special interests and schools in general to understand more. For anyone interested in this important presentation, please visit the following website http://www.autismqld.com.au/ I spoke about my own personal experiences and the means of identify Asperger Syndrome and how awareness and support are required for a person making the transition into employment. I found Autism Queensland very professional and I hope to speak with them again sometime soon. Also some positive developments are beginning to emerge concerning the employment of adults on the Autism Spectrum in Australia. More updates when they become available.

I am now continuing to work on my book concerning the transition into employment and I hope to have this submitted for publication with the next 6 months. I am going to be in touch with Professor, Dr Attwood in November this year concerning Tony writing the Foreword to the book. In the meantime I have to endure a workplace which is undergoing rapid change and I am not sure whether things will improve or what will happen in the next 12 months. Who knows what the future will bring? More updates as they come to hand. Thanks need to go to Dr Kate Sofronoff and Autism Queensland for hosting this event. Also thanks to Stefanie representing Asperger Services Australia. What the seminar also highlighted was a greater need for more disability employment agencies and employment consultants within Australia. In addition to this, what a person with Asperger Syndrome can achieve and to not give up should they not find they can excel at anything. Not all persons with Asperger Syndrome are geniuses and schools and society need to be more inclusive of diversity and different ways of thinking. Good to see a combined effort! All Autism associations need to work together for we are the people on the Autism Spectrum whom you represent. We need your help and support and we need the wider community to understand more so together we can make a real difference and educate the community at large more about the positive attributes of a person on the Autism Spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment