Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Autistic Brain

As a person with Autism, I often wonder how my brain is different to that of a non Autistic person. As more and more is beginning to emerge about Autism, little information is available to indicate how the Autistic brain actually works and why persons with Autism confront different wiring so to speak. I often feel like at times that my brain is processing information differently and more importantly I find myself struggling in simple day to day functions. I am aware that I am able write but what I find difficult is that sometimes my means of learning, assimilating information and expression of language is often stilted. Why is reading for instance so difficult and I find it difficult to read novels and more importantly understand the words in them? Why are vast amounts of mental energy required to simply communicate with other people and why is it difficult for me to make friends and make small talk?

Recently developments have emerged in terms of scanning the brains of people with Autism in order to be able to identify Autism in individuals. Hopefully this evidence will be able to convince critics that Autism does exist. Perhaps one day more information will come to light in understanding the Autistic brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment